Anyone got an Atlas tipper trailer?

farmer_ben

No experience with mesh sides admitted but I would worry about stability. Tipper centre of gravity is a shade higher than my GD85 range, loading 3 or 4 cube into a mesh side would put the COG quite high. 1 x cum of soft is about 600kg so you wont be overweight with 4 cube. The other issue is tipping with a mesh rear section, logs will jam underneath so it would need to hinge up, maybe they do.

Just my 2 bobs worth,

A

Good points. The 8x5 tipper is a good bit higher than any of the non tippers I would think.

Maybe off standard (homemade) mesh sides that would bring capacity up to 2.5 m3 ish might be a good plan..

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the info off the Defender or the trailer ?. If the trailer you might want to check what your max tow weight is with Defender, you might be ok just cant remember. I tow with a Disco 2 which is a bit higher tow weight wise than Defender. I carry 2 tons of wood pellets on pallets pretty often, don't know that I would want to be carrying much more to be honest. Thats about 2750kg all up. Its a nasty feeling when the trailer is in charge, been there with 65 hp of MF 165 towing a ten ton capacity grain trailer at quite low speeds when I was a lad.

If your 2570kg is the Defender then thats the all up weight, so the trailer itself plus the cargo, so if the trailer is say 750kg unladen the load capacity is about 1800kg, legally.

A

The defender can tow 3500kg and does it better than the discos because it has a lower ratio transfer box. Some defenders are able to tow 3900kg but only with some form of powered brakes ie not overun brakes. Discoveries I dont think are rated to do this but may be wrong. The max legal tow weight in the uk on overun brakes is 3500kg.

Just bought a 2 year old atlas tipper with mesh and ramps £2700 all in and its mint 5cube to do tomorrow it will make life so much easer just need to get some compartments made up so i can do 3 deliverys at once.:thumbup:

that is exactly what i want to do asap, 3 loads at once lovely old job :)