Tachograph

ukminch

The only exemption that comes close is one for forestry (among others) that exempts you from using a tacho if you are within a 50 kilometre radius of the place where the vehicle is normally based. If you are in arboriculture or tree surgery you aren’t entitled to this exemption. Be ready for repercussions if you get caught winging it.

In the eyes of the law it is irrelevant what your job title is. You are the driver and you are responsible for the vehicle, its condition and its load.

O licences are needed for vehicles over 3.500kg

If you do end up using a tacho you will seldom get out of your first driving period so don’t worry too much about driver’s hours.

I am a Tacho fitted in the Landy in some respects it makes life simpler in that, I can use the trailer for hire and reward jobs and I don't have to worry about KM radius. I'll try and find the document again but VOSA gave me a book that listed Land Rovers as multi purpose vehicles thus needing a tacho but not an O licenc

The rules on over 3.5 tonne combinations needing Tachos is now 11 years old now so VOSA are not to sympethetic if your caught without a tacho.

looks like they've updated the guidance..it was GV262. Now it's the link marked drivers hours etc The forestry exemption is 100 km of base, if you think you do forestry. The other one is:

"Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum

permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes that are

used:

• by universal service providers ...; or

• for carrying materials, equipment or machinery

for the driver’s use in the course of his work.

These vehicles shall be used only within a 50 km

radius of the base of the undertaking and on the

condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute

the driver’s main activity.

The only universal service provider in the UK at

the time of publication (September 2007) is the Royal

Mail. Universal service provider vehicles must have a

tachograph fitted.

This would apply to tradesmen such as electricians or

builders carrying tools or materials for their own use."

I went through this a few years ago. I rang the local office, and someone told me - a little too quickly, I thought - that, yes, I would need a tacho. A local fitter wanted £700 for fitting one to my Landrover, all for the sake of a dozen journeys per year. Luckily, the forestry exemption went up from 50 km to 100 km.

looks like they've updated the guidance..it was GV262. Now it's the link marked drivers hours etc The forestry exemption is 100 km of base, if you think you do forestry. The other one is:

"Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum

permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes that are

used:

• by universal service providers ...; or

• for carrying materials, equipment or machinery

for the driver’s use in the course of his work.

These vehicles shall be used only within a 50 km

radius of the base of the undertaking and on the

condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute

the driver’s main activity.

The only universal service provider in the UK at

the time of publication (September 2007) is the Royal

Mail. Universal service provider vehicles must have a

tachograph fitted.

This would apply to tradesmen such as electricians or

builders carrying tools or materials for their own use."

I went through this a few years ago. I rang the local office, and someone told me - a little too quickly, I thought - that, yes, I would need a tacho. A local fitter wanted £700 for fitting one to my Landrover, all for the sake of a dozen journeys per year. Luckily, the forestry exemption went up from 50 km to 100 km.

Its so much cheaper when ya mates a Tacho fitter! LOL!:001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...