Tachograph

ukminch

just passed my HGV C2 and think i remember from the theory its any vehicle with the capability of exceeding 3.5 tonnes needs a tacho.

also if youve got a post 97 driving licence (tow no-more than 750kgs) and are driving anything with a tow-bar fitted that is rated over 750kgs, even with no-trailer, you can be done for "potential to exceed your permissable weight"

what a load of BS, 99% of vehicles on the road have the potential to do more than 70mph, but you dont get done for "potential speeding" !

countrys going down the pan, FAST

Yep I've had to do the trailer test to tow anything over 750kg (what a nonsense that is let people tow, or don't, why have a stupid weight limit.....)

Must admit I got stopped by VOSA without a trailer, and asked them theoretically and they didn't really know, or wouldn't tell.

They did say something about a radius from base and the type of work.

Anybody know where we'd get a definitive answer?

Rob

Looked into it a few months ago while I was writing my business plan. I'm not 100% (and am ready to be corrected) but think you are ok as long as your van does not have a plated weight of more than 3500kg or if you have no plate 1525kg and you do not operate more than 100km from your business address.

If you do need a tacho, you will probably need an operators licence as well.

For further infor check out:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/workingtime/drivershoursgoods.pdf

and

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/lorryandvanoperators/lorryoperatorlicensing/doineedalorryoperatorlicence/doineedalorryoperatorlicence.htm

Paul

The definitive answer is that you need a tachograph for any vehicle or combination of towing vehicle and trailer that exceeds 3500kg maximum authorised mass.

So if you tow with a 3.5 tonner, or run a 5 tonne truck, you should be using a tachograph.

The cloudy bit is the exemptions. Many tree surgeons believe they are exempt from using tachographs under various exemptions, and some of them may well be right.

That is all I am prepared to say about exemptions, the information is out there if you want to find it.

we have a 17 tonner with a tw250 behind it and we do not use tacho,s down to exemptions.

I work for a LA and they have folk employed to look after all O licence stuff please dont quote me on these

Distance from base

mileage daily is less than the limit( we logged them to prove it for 6 months)

forestry exemption which is clutching as we are an arb team but we are the forestry dept and it says so on the vehicle

Also we are not employed as drivers we are employed as arborists

I am not saying all these are correct but i think this was the general gist

My personal opinion is that you would probably get away with not using a tacho in a 3.5 tonner, whatever you tow with it, but if the vehicle has a tacho fitted, you may as well use it.

When i worked for a LA, we didnt use tachos but had to fill in a drivers hours book for every day we drove. Go figure.

I think technically I may need one for certain jobs that are a bit further away from home. Time for some more digging.

Could make for an interesting working day. Drive, rest, work, rest, drive, stop overnight, drive, rest, drive, oh and fit some work in somewhere....