what are the benefits of a tree reduction?

showoffsummer

As part of my ongoing theory and research into restoration pruning and different techniques on forcing dormant buys to shoot on scaffolded stems, would shining fake sunlight, UV?, (can you even do this) over a certain time initiate growth on some species?

Rob,

Although I don't think it can be done effectively after pruning, trees do direct their foliaged branches towards lampposts standing in between lane or roadside trees to "collect" the orange-yellow or bright white light at night.

Edited by Fungus

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
... trees do direct their foliaged branches towards lampposts standing in between lane or roadside trees to "collect" the orange-yellow or bright white light at night ...

... as can be seen in the beech in the first photo, that has activated dormant buds on the lower trunk at the side of the lamppost to "collect" the light coming from above with its foliage at night.

After heaving been reduced at the opposite side, the old beech in the second photo has directed all its branches to the 12 o'clock side and bended down the lower branches to protect the trunk against sun scald.

---

Beuk-eenzijdig.jpg.4249cc4271ba2d1031782cfaa995932a.jpg

Beuk-lantaarn.jpg.31c880a7a5ec1d714bb60a5d54f14711.jpg

Is that holding on to leaves in dormancy (particularly in Beech) what I think I've heard as being refered to as "Marquesence" ?

Think I've also noted Hornbeam & Oak having this phenomenon.

Hi David, Gerrit, Hama, Rob et al,

I have a theory of Marquesence. As you rightly pointed out, Beech and Hornbeam, and sometimes Oaks, 'hold' on to their leaves over winter. Bear with me ok....Due to the fact that very little will grow under Beech trees then the opportunity for decomposing leaf litter is reduced and must rely on its 'own' leaves to provide next years nutrients within the rooting zone. I know it is more complicated as you need decomposers but stay with me...whilst other trees drop their leaves in autumn the chance of those leaves remaining within the root zone and being decomposed over winter is slim with negative facorts including frost or frozen ground, wind and water wash out (torrential rain and flooding). The Beech being a clever old sole keeps the leaves until they are needed in spring when the soil is damp, worms and decomposers are-a-plenty and the nutrients are leeching on its doorstep. Hey...it just a theory that is all :thumbup:

Hi David, Gerrit, Hama, Rob et al,

I have a theory of Marquesence. As you rightly pointed out, Beech and Hornbeam, and sometimes Oaks, 'hold' on to their leaves over winter. Bear with me ok....Due to the fact that very little will grow under Beech trees then the opportunity for decomposing leaf litter is reduced and must rely on its 'own' leaves to provide next years nutrients within the rooting zone. I know it is more complicated as you need decomposers but stay with me...whilst other trees drop their leaves in autumn the chance of those leaves remaining within the root zone and being decomposed over winter is slim with negative facorts including frost or frozen ground, wind and water wash out (torrential rain and flooding). The Beech being a clever old sole keeps the leaves until they are needed in spring when the soil is damp, worms and decomposers are-a-plenty and the nutrients are leeching on its doorstep. Hey...it just a theory that is all :thumbup:

I looked into this a while back, it is something to do with the growth being imature and being less able to form the absiccion, sorry to pee on the bonfire!:lol:

... very little will grow under Beech trees ... The Beech being a clever old sole keeps the leaves until they are needed in spring when the soil is damp, worms and decomposers are-a-plenty and the nutrients are leeching on its doorstep.

Marco,

Your hypothesis is contradictory to beeches having very superficial root systems, that mainly stretch out to the dripping zones just outside the crown projection, where the finer, with ectomycorrhizal pioneers associated roots uptake water and nutrients, i.e. the products of decomposition of litter "shared" with neighbouring beeches by saprotrophic soil mycoflora and fauna.

Besides, beech leaves are shaped in such a way, that they can hold small volumes of water, that is drop after drop dripping from the sharp point at the tip of the leave (see photo) on to other leaves and in that way is transported in the direction of the dripping zone.

And that's why you can find shelter from a mild rain shower without getting wet under a beech and not under an oak :001_smile: .

---

Beukenblad-dripline.jpg.d85dc832a1b22a1dec5a5e121aaf368e.jpg