BCS Flail

Matthew Arnold

Today we were borrowing a walk behind from our colleagues. I noticed that the grease point on the right hand side of the flail was kicking out steam when it was going through heavy grass. We asked if it had been greased recently and they said that the last time it was greased was its last service 18 months ago:cursing:. Would the damage already be done with steam kicking out of the bearing housing? Or would flooding all moving parts with grease save a very hefty bill in a few weeks?

On a different topic would hedgecutter grease still be suitable to be placed in a brushcutter gear housing (FS400,450,480 and 500)?

Edited by Matthew Arnold

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard to say what damage has been done.....At best its just a knackered bearing which wont be too expensive,the heat will have melted all the grease out and possibly seized the bearing and the shaft could be spinning inside the bearing wearing it away instead,that could be expensive???

Had a BCS flail a couple of years ago.......WORST piece of junk on the planet,very unreliable,spent more time in the workshop than out earning its keep,boss soon got rid and told the rep too never come back.

Its hard to say what damage has been done.....At best its just a knackered bearing which wont be too expensive,the heat will have melted all the grease out and possibly seized the bearing and the shaft could be spinning inside the bearing wearing it away instead,that could be expensive???

Had a BCS flail a couple of years ago.......WORST piece of junk on the planet,very unreliable,spent more time in the workshop than out earning its keep,boss soon got rid and told the rep too never come back.

When i engage the PTO shaft there is a whine coming from the flail head. I'm not sure if it is the bearings that are whining because of the lack of grease or if it because they have collapsed. But we are going to be spending an hour or so removing bailer twine and other nasties from around the shaft.

Here is a picture of it

59765e888a087_ChettleFP2.jpg.c7bf2c75e46f9e1c91a17296d98065c2.jpg

Edited by Matthew Arnold

That could have been the start of the problem,if the shaft is all ragged up with twine and stuff it may be stopping the shaft turning properley and generating friction/heat which in turn is not good for bearings.

I asked the gent who normally uses it and he has never taken the head off to clean it out as he thought the bailer twine was just buried under the flailings. If the gent isn't in tomorrow i shall get a pic of it before and after the clean with the heap of the stuff next to it as you can even see the shaft.:thumbdown:

B C S one of the best mowers i have ever used , if used correctly and maintained my oldest one is 12 years old and still going strong . nice to see you take a pride in your gear and work matt

Cheers. I do most of the basic maintenance on our machinery and as the flail hasn't been given a really good going over i think i may as well do it tomorrow morning then test it tomorrow afternoon. I would estimate there to be 50 metres of bailer twine of varying lengths and thicknesses wrapped around the shaft. So will be getting the stanley knife on that lot tomorrow.:blushing:

big plus one to that - their scythe bar mowers are very good and they are on honda engines which are fine - but the flail deck is a bag of testicles.

SCAG mower is where its at imo -(though we've also got a rabid euro - that'll be being sold as soon as i work out why it wont start)

Greased all the points which needed greasing. I did it whilst the machine was at full throttle and with the blades running to get the grease working instantly. Not a squeak, rattle or vibration from it today. Although the bailer twine looks bad it was free moving around the shaft but was still removed. There is very slight play (about 1/8th of an inch) in the shaft but thats it.

big plus one to that - their scythe bar mowers are very good and they are on honda engines which are fine - but the flail deck is a bag of testicles.

SCAG mower is where its at imo -(though we've also got a rabid euro - that'll be being sold as soon as i work out why it wont start)

Dr mowers far better imo you get a closer cut scags when we tried them tend to flaten the nettles remove all the leaves then the stems spring back up :lol: