non productive managers

likeitorlumpit

in farming i think its vital that the manager/owner, can do any job they ask their tractor drivers to do (like any business i suppose). there are an awful lot of young managers coming through that just arent getting the practical experience first, they are being rushed through buy these huge farming companies.

The chap i work for (on a self employed basis imo) is sound, i know how he wants work done and he knows i will do it how he wants it done. he likes to get on the sprayer and see the fields, its important to me that he does this and is invloved on the shop floor so to speak.

I have worked for some right dick heads though, managers that expect their chaps to work 20hr days but will clear off home them selves at 7pm in middle of harvest. main problem i have found in farming is the lack of man management skills. for some reason a lot of managers i've experienced work like hell and produced good results but neglect their staff and never considered the staff have a life outside of the farm, normally cause the manager doesnt have a life himself.

From a sales stand point I find the best managers are the ones with practical knowledge of what they are a managing in the first place. Men/Women working in the trenches from the ground floor up.

The best ones are the manager/owner type who have a vested interest in what they are doing at all times. The difference between the last type mentioned and appointed or selected managers is sometimes staggering. I once had a manager who started out fresh from high school and felt in his mind very important. He started out with a small brown nose, after I left the company within a year of employment I noticed the balance of his body starting to match his nose color, and within 5 years he was sacked and had a brown body. A truly spineless person and when the owners no longer had any use for this useful idiot they let him go. So many good employees went before him and did complain to the owners to no avail. Glad I got out when I did.

easy-lift guy

Having worked in a number of different industries the issue certainly isn't particular to this one. As was pointed out there is often a lack of understanding of the role of the manager and this isn't always limited to the operatives. The directors and the managers themselves don't always have a clear understanding of the role. It is clear that to have done time on the tools is an advantage although this is only a part of the solution as some people are promoted to managerial positions with little or no ability to manage others or themselves, even though they are competent at an operational level. Some people are good at it some are not. Some people like it some people don't. Management is a skill in the same way as climbing is. To some it comes naturally, others it takes time, effort and training and alas for a few it never arrives. Management is also multi-faceted in that there are many different ways to do it and because it doesn't always deal with regimented systems and robots it's easy to make mistakes.

How many times have I told someone to do something instead of ask? Or misunderstood a work process and chewed someone out for it? As individuals or as part of a team we often come to conclusions and make decisions from our own perspective or paradigm without thinking of other views that may influence our decision making process.

People promoted from within should be given management training and guidance.

When I am working with/for s company who has someone in this role usually they are just a drain on resources and the crew would get the days work done in a more efficient way without them more often than not.

Exactly from the last place i worked at.

Just something I picked up from others comments and from 30 years in the trade.

What is your opinion of the boss/ manager you have

Do they contribute to the firms financial wellbeing or are they a drain on resources only meaning you work harder for less.

Would you as a group be able to cope without their input

That sort of thing

I appreciate some of you won't be able to comment and please don't contribute in a licky anal way 'cos you know they are reading this.

This is the dumbest thread ever. I won't waste my time reading the replies.:sneaky2:

How can your boss be a drain on resources?! He started the company and runs it so that superstars like you can have a job and get paid.

If you're so brilliant start your own business and feel the risk, stress and total lack of appreciation!:thumbdown:

If this was a phone I'd be shouting into it.:thumbdown:

Lots of love

Victor Meldrew.:001_tt2:

This is the dumbest thread ever. I won't waste my time reading the replies.:sneaky2:

How can your boss be a drain on resources?! He started the company and runs it so that superstars like you can have a job and get paid.

If you're so brilliant start your own business and feel the risk, stress and total lack of appreciation!:thumbdown:

If this was a phone I'd be shouting into it.:thumbdown:

Lots of love

Victor Meldrew.:001_tt2:

It's not a dumb thread but I suggest the thought of it has upset you.

It's interesting to get peoples views and I anticipate that some are venting for reasons they won't go into.

Maybe the way managers are selected needs looking into- is it for the respect on the tools they engender or maybe- do they have specific people skills.

Needless to say a bad manager can have a dramatic effect on any firm and ultimately jobs.

How do they get in that position- are they appointed by owners to take the crap and make them (the owner) look better

Do they get the job by default- no one else wanted it

Do they just get too old to work efficiently on the tools and get promoted out of owners loyalty to his/her staff and is this really a bad thing

What percentage of managers are respected and work staff hard creating good wages- good investment in tools

All these questions are relevant IMO we need great managers or maybe some sort of responsibility taken on by staff to replace the role entirely.

Forward thinking stuff

Its always easy to criticise/highlight faults but I think unless you've had your own experience of running a business or managing others its easy to have a somewhat prejudiced point of view. I'm not saying that all bosses/managers are perfect but it isn't always as straight forward as it may seem.