hardwood / softwood

rangerover860

I'm doing more and more softwood, mind you I push it to the customers a lot more than the hardwood. but by far my best selling loads over the last few years are the softwood /hardwood mix's. 50% Larch etc & 50% Horse Chestnut! and before you say it yes it is any good! just a bugger to season! Its what I use at home and my customers love it. And lets face it there's going to be plenty around over the next few years!

Softwood is easier/faster to grow easier to process and if season properly burns almost as long as most hardwoods. Even my chimney sweep burns softwood and like he said the woods never the problem its the moisture that all problems stem from!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doing more and more softwood, mind you I push it to the customers a lot more than the hardwood. but by far my best selling loads over the last few years are the softwood /hardwood mix's. 50% Larch etc & 50% Horse Chestnut! and before you say it yes it is any good! just a bugger to season! Its what I use at home and my customers love it. And lets face it there's going to be plenty around over the next few years!

Softwood is easier/faster to grow easier to process and if season properly burns almost as long as most hardwoods. Even my chimney sweep burns softwood and like he said the woods never the problem its the moisture that all problems stem from!

maybe we are all about to turn the corner and see the light, i am 99% convinced that good quality air dried soft wood is the way to go:thumbup:

I've recently converted to softwood. I've been giving all my hardwood customers a free bag of softwood at 20% moisture rate. It's dry lite and clean and once you've given the speak on why softwood is the future their more than happy to try a load. It's easy to handle and process. Try given a free bag!

I've recently converted to softwood. I've been giving all my hardwood customers a free bag of softwood at 20% moisture rate. It's dry lite and clean and once you've given the speak on why softwood is the future their more than happy to try a load. It's easy to handle and process. Try given a free bag!

I like your thinking there:thumbup1:

thats just what were going to do , nothing ventured nothing gained :biggrin:

I'm doing Larch, Causican and Scots pine, western red cedar, Douglas fir, Sitka basically what ever comes out of FC land. As long as its dry and you don't start getting sloppy and giving wet wood out.

Snap.Altho the majority of it is larch that is exactly all I sell.I will second the wet wood thing,it dosnt take much for softwood to soak up moisture if rain can get to it.It also when seriously seasoned eg plus two years can start soaking up the atmospheres moisture and wet muggy days can easily see your logs turn up to 25 percent again.

Pubs absolutly love dry softwood,at 20percent it lights quickly giving bright very hot flames,also the crackling and popping gives the customers the atmosphere of Cosey log fire the pine smells bloody lovely aswell.

Softwood for the win chaps!

Snap.Altho the majority of it is larch that is exactly all I sell.I will second the wet wood thing,it dosnt take much for softwood to soak up moisture if rain can get to it.It also when seriously seasoned eg plus two years can start soaking up the atmospheres moisture and wet muggy days can easily see your logs turn up to 25 percent again.

Pubs absolutly love dry softwood,at 20percent it lights quickly giving bright very hot flames,also the crackling and popping gives the customers the atmosphere of Cosey log fire the pine smells bloody lovely aswell.

Softwood for the win chaps!

that was a party political broadcast from the "i love soft wood party"

The big problem I find with just burning softwood is that you get far less embers. So you nod off for a couple hours and the fire has gone completely. So I like to mix in some ash or sycamore which provides a good ember bed.

Other than that I'm all for it. Dries super quick.