Thor farmer vs magik

rowan lee

I have been researching vertical splitters with independent pumps, and an ability to split billets for some time now. Have arrived at the conclusion that Thor is probably the best value for money, etc etc.

The splitter will be used for intense(ish) domestic use, thus I think the 13ton model will be sufficient.

As far as i can tell the main differences between the 'farmer 13' and 'magik 13' is the leader control system, and the clip on pump not fixed vs fixed pto pump. I think for predominant billet splitting especially when you get to quarter sizes, the leader system is probably the most efficient, as the precision on the 'farmer' spike holder might not be as easy to achieve and as quick. Are there any others as there seems to be a price difference of nearly 500 bucks.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, as this will be a big investment for me, but should take the back pain out of billet splitting by hand.

Thanks lads.:thumbup1:

When i bought our 13t magik i looked at a lot of machines and i came to the same conclusion that the magik is the best value machine the leader system is really good and works very well. All though its only 13 t it will split pretty much anything and we have done about 300t of billets with ours and there all 1200mm long even bur oak never stopped it . The only problem is moving big chunks of cord round to be split i use a little compact with loader to get it to the splitter then wrestle it the last little bit you have just got to be careful when splitting big pieces that it does not fall towards you.

regards mick

Edited by Mortimer Firewood
crap spelling

I have a thor 13t farmer on a fast tow trailer.

I wasn't hugely impressed by it but then I wanted to use it in a horozontal position not vertically.... And maybe I'm just a fussy git! Adapted mine with tables on either side.

The problem I see with a lot of splitters is that you need to have some sort of tray tables to catch what your splitting. Otherwise you have to do so much handling.

With this adaption you only lift the log once onto the trays. Then throw them into a log bag after.

To my mind the thor splitters are very well made.... but they are made by people who don't perhaps have to use them themselves. Or not in 'the field' so to speak.

:001_smile:

59765e7b859fc_Logsplitter008.JPG.39bfdf296446056ed41004cae033f4d1.JPG

59765e7b81250_Logsplitter005.JPG.d4ca5f3155423ae1303b89197fe4bd0f.JPG

59765e7b7cc34_Logsplitter004.JPG.d2d74bac8bb61377ac818d4c69908553.JPG

59765e7b78937_Logsplitter003.JPG.357bc66aca247383938bca699219c1b0.JPG

59765e7b746d3_Logsplitter002.JPG.c70acebbd9f9f5ed6200d175afcafd4b.JPG

The problem I see with a lot of splitters is that you need to have some sort of tray tables to catch what your splitting. Otherwise you have to do so much handling.

Thanks for the pictures and advice Rob. Nice modification btw, but does that table rip the engine out if you fully retract the ram by accident :001_tongue:

When i bought our 13t magik i looked at a lot of machines

Mick, did you compare the farmer version before you bought? If so any reason why you didn't go for the cheaper version instead. Cheers, good to know it will bust burr oak, only plan on putting thinnings through it myself, but there is always the odd 'lump' coming in out of the woods at home.:thumbup1:

I have the Thor super magik 18t.

I've had it for about twelve months from new but have only just started using it, can't find fault really.

Oh, yes... one fault or bad design is the 18t wont fit in my container with the table on. even when you take off the table, which is a pain in the butt, and drop the cylinder right down, it only just fits in

I have the Thor super magik 18t.

I've had it for about twelve months from new but have only just started using it, can't find fault really.

Oh, yes... one fault or bad design is the 18t wont fit in my container with the table on. even when you take off the table, which is a pain in the butt, and drop the cylinder right down, it only just fits in

proper splitter your got there dean thats what iam after when fuunds allow.