Unimog

Pickers

+2

I came very close to buying a mog a couple of years back, but TBH having looked at a few, and worked with 2, i CANNOT see the point. They are cumbersome overpriced expensive not-quite-a-tractor-not-quite-a-lorry glorified chipboxes IMO. Unimog owners will swear by them, but for me I will stick to a defender and tow behind. But then I do have easy access to tractors with big trailers and forwarding equipment with operator for next to nothing, which maybe if i didnt, I would have thought more about a mog.:001_smile:

It Had To be a landrover driver making such comments :laugh1::001_tt2:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After researching mogs myself, I'm left feeling disappointed due to the cost of buying a decent/reliable 2nd hand one, which is roughly 12,000+, if you buy from a dealer like Atchinson Vos that is (watch the VAT by the way).

They're expensive machines, but also very useful according to everyone I've met who's ever owned one. Some say they cover their cost over 3 years by doing the work of several men.

So nice to have, if you have the money, but why can't they just be 8,000k instead!

Thing is they are rubbish in the woods as a forwarder, ok say you have a 900 with winches on the back for pulling out and skidding to road side they are good ... Chip box on the back no visibility, But then most tractors are fine at skidding too.

if they break 9 out of ten times it never cost's less than a grand to fix... But I still would have one, but definietly not first choice as a woodland machine.

A foresrty spec unimog is a capable and worthy contender for forestry, so is a forestry spec tractor.

Thats the thing tho, a mog that isnt set up right for forestry will be average, so will a tractor thats not set up..

The thing with them all is not trying to do too many things with one machine. You shouldnt be in the woods with a chip box on, you woudlnt be in the woods with a plough on your tractor.

Theres pros and cons to them all and there are those that hate em and those that love em. You can only work it out by going out and seeing them working..

Thanks very much for the input guys it's helped my decission loads........:confused1:

I like Timtree81's solution............."go no, buy one"! I've kind of set my heart on it but like a lot are saying, it's an expensive choice.

The mog for the majority of the time would be living onsite, commuting in pickup(15 miles give or take). Most of the work for the next 5 years or so is going to be hugely for one estate, moving from woodland to woodland within a 5 mile radius but also needing the capability to chip, process logs and winch sticks i can't get to with any vehicle. I'm looking into funding to offset the cost and have found that veh's aren't eligible but the trailer and or chipper etc are.

The biggest problem I'm finding is what a lot have said and that is finding the right machine............................and I really want a mog!:confused1: