coronets

elicokiz

Hi Folks

probably get shot down in flames for this thread as i know its been covered ...just dont have time at the minute to read the whole section on coronet pruning.:thumbdown: was wondering if my assumption that coronet cuts could be used on living trees is correct? the term monolithing relating only to coronet and fracture pruning on dead hulks? ...again sorry for my lazyness.

regards

Dave

In essence, yes to both.

Though technically 'Monolith' is not the correct term, as a 'Monolith' relates to stone more than it does to tree/wood.

For our purposes (& imo) the term is fine in context to how it is used in the Industry.

Standing Dead Wood/Timber is perhaps nearer the mark.

1st shot - coronet on live Ash

2nd/3rd shots - coronet/monolith dead Ash.

P7160005.jpg.befd9fd9dee3ce1e41166d353c5440ae.jpg

P7160004.jpg.371eeb480154852ddefc64a60cdd6caf.jpg

59765e66b2b3c_CopyofP6140005.jpg.7b65a0362152e16f97904895f5ab5c08.jpg

I'm sure this would be defeating the object of going to the trouble to make these cuts look like natural breaks, but what are your thoughts on carving sculptures at these points?

As I understand it apart from the aesthetics, they are done to allow food and shelter for all the bugs and beasties.

Why not on some occasions make a feature of it,say for example a flowing abstract form that can do the same job providing shelter for the afore mentioned bugs?

Has anyone tried this? and if so can you post some pics up?

Cheers,

Si

I'm sure this would be defeating the object of going to the trouble to make these cuts look like natural breaks, but what are your thoughts on carving sculptures at these points?

As I understand it apart from the aesthetics, they are done to allow food and shelter for all the bugs and beasties.

Why not on some occasions make a feature of it,say for example a flowing abstract form that can do the same job providing shelter for the afore mentioned bugs?

Cheers,

Si

Although there is still quite a bit of work in coronet cuts, the abstract features that you mention would probably create to much work, not to mention its hard enough getting a safe work position doing coronet cuts, it may be near on possible to make features or carvings from inside the tree there for use of MEWP would have to be used to make it safer and easier, making the job just that bit more expensive.....

Also you may not be able to get a MEWP near ??

Thanks...

Adam

Cheers,

Si

Like this?

Cheers Adam,

Yes the cost is always going to be an issue, as with doing coronets too I guess.

Not every customer will pay the extra for a coronet never mind a sculpture.

It would have to be a certain kind of client on the right tree with the right kind of access.

I was just thinking(typing) out loud, looking for some sort of cross over between the two fields.

Would be a good remit for creating a piece though, something with a useful purpose, creating a habitat as well as a sculpture.

Si

Cheers Adam,

Yes the cost is always going to be an issue, as with doing coronets too I guess.

Not every customer will pay the extra for a coronet never mind a sculpture.

It would have to be a certain kind of client on the right tree with the right kind of access.

I was just thinking(typing) out loud, looking for some sort of cross over between the two fields.

Would be a good remit for creating a piece though, something with a useful purpose, creating a habitat as well as a sculpture.

Si

Simon,

Now i've read more in depth to your way of thinking it would be cool to try something like this, i've never tried chainsaw carving in that respect just the odd mushroom or 2 ....:lol:

but that is not what your thinking, personally i think in the right tree and the right place the coronet cut is the most advanced way of creating habitable home for our little beasties and other wild life, and would love to see it used more often.....

as for making them more abstract ????? whats your ideas as i am deeply interested.....to make them look more part of the tree would be easy enough but an abstract from what ?:thumbup:

Simon,

Now i've read more in depth to your way of thinking it would be cool to try something like this, i've never tried chainsaw carving in that respect just the odd mushroom or 2 ....:lol:

but that is not what your thinking, personally i think in the right tree and the right place the coronet cut is the most advanced way of creating habitable home for our little beasties and other wild life, and would love to see it used more often.....

as for making them more abstract ????? whats your ideas as i am deeply interested.....to make them look more part of the tree would be easy enough but an abstract from what ?:thumbup:

:laugh1: now I've got you hooked.

As for the abstract element the worlds your oyster.

Maybe the tree unfurling,with undulating flames emerging or plaits interlocking.

Interspersed with bubbles and blobs. Any thing that would create lots of narrow crevices for the wildlife.

Maybe even turn the tree into an ent:biggrin:

Si

Re: To Coronet or Not to Coronet, now that is a question

Dead roadside Beech with Meripilus & Chondrostereum.

Left as Standing dead timber, coro'd with the odd fracture.

On to the data base to be inspected anually.

Mix of remarks from the locals, and the odd funny from passing cabbies.

ent.jpg.e36e3457e8ea41bd84498c000eff4461.jpg

41415d1278612397-coronet-not-coronet-now-question-img_4015.jpg.313f0435716a758a27b445157fa39222.jpg