What have you broken now?

treequip

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today my L200 deposited the complete contents of its sump up the road. Seven litres of oil and no warning lights at all. I replaced a broken pipe to the oil cooler and refilled with oil. Now I think the turbo's blown up. Does a screeching/whirring noise and a vast cloud of smoke point to this?

Anyone know the best place to get a turbo from? Can you check secondhand ones before you fit them and is it a straighforward job to fit one?

expect rusted studs on the manifold!! might be worth checking why your old turbo went bang ie look to see if the oil feed pipe hasnt been damaged and starved it with oil.

you can buy rebuild kits for the turbo if you got the tools otherwise try milners, agrimec engineering or fleabay

If it’s off the car you can give it a visual inspection. Spin it and listen for noise, inspect the veins for damage, personally, unless you saw it running on a motor I would be wary.

Fitting is simple enough, turbo’s just bolt on to the manifold, there will be oil feed and return pipes, wastegate linkages, vac piples etc. You will need gaskets and some assembly paste and let’s hope the old unit comes off OK