woman jailed for refusing to cut down her trees.....and contempt of court.

sean

That Journalism stinks... here's a more concise version:

Energy firms bring action against woman - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 09, 2011

What isn't mentioned is that the land was most likely bought under a compulsory purchase order. Common event over here, they do it all the time when building Motorways and the like. Usually people are paid the full value of their property, difficult people are usually given a bit more to sweeten the deal.

As far as line clearance where commercial timber is involved, the ESB pay the customer the value of the land, and clear and area big enough so that it never needs cutting again.

Jailing her is a bit excessive but she's fighting a battle she's never going to win.

bit nuts jailing her, but its not as if they are worth saving - she will be out in 10 days - and the council will get a telling off.

if it was ancient woodland or at least some decent broad leaf - she would have our support.

I don' think the tree's are the real issue here, its the high tension power cables being erected. There is controversy all over Ireland at the moment with this sort of thing, lots of protesting where I live in Co. Meath with people calling for the cables to be buried underground as an alternative. ( not sure if it makes a difference in terms of the health risks associated with such power lines be they over/under the ground ) but it certainly helps maintain the natural beauty of the countryside. :thumbup1:

Hmmmm.... you never really get the true story with this sort of issue...

What's the pros and cons between burying lines and having them on pylons?

It's sad they felt they had to jail her but I suppose if they caved in on this case everyone who didn't want powerlines across their land would use the case as a precedent....

What do you do?...... who knows :confused1:

'They' say that burying lines is way more expensive than pylons. I've seen a site where they were burying lines and they cut a track about 100 yards wide (I kid you not). No idea why and I still can't work it out. We have an IP gas main put through our fields a good few years back and that has to be just as dangerous and they just removed a good bit of turf with a swing shovel and then put a 'normal' trench in and stuck the pipe in.

I would imagine that power lines may be laid in trunking or tubing of some sort on such a scale but even so, need it be so expensive? I doubt it.

I'd say a lot of the high cost is in future maintenance. If they need to replace a section they can when they are overhead. Also the cost of covering miles of cable in armour I'd imagine would increase the cost quite a bit. If they are underground finding a fault can be a major issue. Also the likelihood of people "discovering" them by accident during excavations is increased.

I'd say a lot of the high cost is in future maintenance. If they need to replace a section they can when they are overhead. Also the cost of covering miles of cable in armour I'd imagine would increase the cost quite a bit. If they are underground finding a fault can be a major issue. Also the likelihood of people "discovering" them by accident during excavations is increased.

Nail on the head mate:thumbup1:

As for the old lady i think thats shocking. Poor old lass doesnt deserve to go to jail, in fact she deserves a medal for standing up for herself and her trees.

As for the journalism well i think its been said already it sucketh big time:thumbdown:

I believe that another reason for extra cost of underground lines is that the natural cooling of the line underground is not as good as when air suspended, and the cables have to be substantially larger (to reduce the impedance) as a result.

I gave up reading any newspapers years ago after realising that they are no longer reporters of news (as they should be) and have become self-appointed controllers of public opinion. A very dangerous development when so much of the public is too dimwitted to form its own opinion about anything important.

What a rubbish piece of journalism.

I couldn’t agree more:thumbup1: That is perhaps the best example of utter cr#p journalism I’ve seen in a long time. Can always rely on the Mail for that I guess.

She was jailed for contempt of court: its rightly a serious offence and those individuals convicted rarely escape a jail sentence. Bear in mind that to be in contempt you have first been 'warned off' a course of action by the court