What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Hiya spud, Chris has leant me his tacho and I was wondering if you could tell me the ideal max rpm for the following saws please?

Ms200t with muffler mod?

Ms460 with duel port cover?

390xp with your muffler mod?

Cheers dude [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hiya spud, Chris has leant me his tacho and I was wondering if you could tell me the ideal max rpm for the following saws please?

Ms200t with muffler mod?

Ms460 with duel port cover?

390xp with your muffler mod?

Cheers dude [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

MS200 - 13500 - 13800rpm

MS460 - 13200rpm

390XP - 12800rpm

I usually tune a modded saw to a little under maximum specified revs, this is usually so they don't come back fried in six months. You can hear the four-stroking on modded saws more easily then standard ones!

• 2 weeks later...

Had an MS200T in today, the owner had already had a Stihl agent go over it as it had been running erratically and had been fitted with new seals, impulse line, refurb carb etc to the tune of over £200 so expected it not to need too much to sort out the issues.

I don't know the dealer but what follows really pisses me off....first thing I noticed was the manifold clamp was fitted upside down:wtf:

The next thing I noticed were the seals were installed the wrong way round:wtf:

I did the porting the owner requested, fitted new seals and then pressure/vacuum tested the saw, had a slight leakand pushed the bung in the manifold a little deeper, it was better but not perfect and found a slight leak round the impulse line - it wasn't a Stihl one but a larger bore piece of fuel pipe - I use fuel pipe for jobs like this but the CORRECT internal diameter:001_rolleyes:

When I took all the bungs out from the pressure and vacuum checks, I checked the manifold and bingo:thumbdown: the guy that had fitted it had stuck a screwdriver straight through what looks like a new manifold and we all know that these things are well over £20:001_rolleyes:

I then looked at the "rebuilt carb" and all I found was a new pump diaphragm and no gauze filter fitted, the carb was much older than the resto of the saw which was in very good order, nice paint and plastics.

I am not knocking dealers, I am knocking dealers that charge good rates for inferior substandard and damn right incompetent repairs. The chain brake is a safety feature and was bunged full of wood chip and the "repair" could have seized the machine despite the circa five turns out that the carb was set on to make it work:001_rolleyes:.

Here are the pics....enjoy

597671f37f643_ManifoldClamp.jpg.3124a2bad9b753052a6f8abfff9bbbf4.jpg

597671f382f6f_Seal2.jpg.a2184aaaeb21c00269a083331821b49e.jpg

597671f384716_Seal1.jpg.5193804df5f19051c5ad9cb7f5b44976.jpg

Manifold.jpg.da396814e1b73f8113142d4caf79839a.jpg

Carb.jpg.1a93bea6a04953f9a438a406d7e5d87b.jpg

597671f38a645_ChainBrake.jpg.a06b7ae1a2cfb8c0c015bbcea1b9713e.jpg

I am not knocking dealers, I am knocking dealers that charge good rates for inferior substandard and damn right incompetent repairs.

I know you are not knocking dealers in general Steve, but you may well be right to knock this one, the work does appear a little shoddy.

There are however many good dealers out there, just as there are very many home based 'garden shed' mechanics who turn out shoddy work.

The point is, there will always be good and bad in everything, its just a fact of life.

The problem that all dealers face is recruiting suitable staff. There just have not been enough youngsters joining the industry for the last 2 or 3 decades and most of the skills now lie with the more senior staff. When the old guys retire they are often replaced with totally unqualified staff just because the right guys simply are not available these days, there is a massive skills shortage.

We are only a small business now with just myself and my daughter doing the work, and it is only myself that touches 2 strokes, but 15 years ago I managed an agricultural engineering business and employed up to 10 staff, but it was an absolute nightmare getting any staff, yet alone good ones. I had a great foreman and one good mechanic, but we were using completely inadequate staff a lot of the time just because we simply had to have someone to do the work, but we knew that a lot of the time the work was below standard.

I am not excusing the bad dealers, but I do appreciate their problems.

I know you are not knocking dealers in general Steve, but you may well be right to knock this one, the work does appear a little shoddy.

There are however many good dealers out there, just as there are very many home based 'garden shed' mechanics who turn out shoddy work.

The point is, there will always be good and bad in everything, its just a fact of life.

The problem that all dealers face is recruiting suitable staff. There just have not been enough youngsters joining the industry for the last 2 or 3 decades and most of the skills now lie with the more senior staff. When the old guys retire they are often replaced with totally unqualified staff just because the right guys simply are not available these days, there is a massive skills shortage.

We are only a small business now with just myself and my daughter doing the work, and it is only myself that touches 2 strokes, but 15 years ago I managed an agricultural engineering business and employed up to 10 staff, but it was an absolute nightmare getting any staff, yet alone good ones. I had a great foreman and one good mechanic, but we were using completely inadequate staff a lot of the time just because we simply had to have someone to do the work, but we knew that a lot of the time the work was below standard.

I am not excusing the bad dealers, but I do appreciate their problems.

Damn, I had better start using "Just for Men" :sneaky2::lol:

I think the more worrying thing is just how can you make so many simple mistakes any one that repairs machinery would be embarrassed to hand that back to someone like that.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

I get damn upset when a bit of kit I have looked at starts misbehaving, I treat it personally and aim for 100% every time!