What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Stihl MS 029 which I picked up for pennies. Currently starts then either stalls immediately or runs for a short time then splutters to a halt. Giving it all a good clean up, new plug, fuel filter + hose and vent tube which currently has rust stains inside it. Got a carb kit too if it still refuses to comply. :001_smile:

Those saws are a pig to strip so hope the top end is OK! Make sure the metering area under the diaphragm is clear of debris that may block jets.

Had an 088 Stihl in with poor running so pressure and vacuum checked it - old saw can mean bad seals or rubber bits - all good so checked out the fuel system and found the welch plug sealant had come away from the top of the plug and was floating around. Cleared this and cleaned out the H&L screws etc.

Did a muffler mod that went well and just waiting for a few parts to finish.

Carb.jpg.4300a6968da179498c075cb1dccd0206.jpg

Had an 088 Stihl in with poor running so pressure and vacuum checked it - old saw can mean bad seals or rubber bits - all good so checked out the fuel system and found the welch plug sealant had come away from the top of the plug and was floating around. Cleared this and cleaned out the H&L screws etc.

Did a muffler mod that went well and just waiting for a few parts to finish.

Thats stale, old petrol for you Steve!

Time to Aspenate?

Been refurbing a Husqvarna 61 that I have owned for a few years, never run and has sat on the shelf a long time. Fitted a new P&C kit as the bore was a bit of a mess.

Got down to the all important Pressure and vacuum test and had a big leak. Traced it back to the big plastic inlet spacer between the carb and cylinder caused by........a first in my books.......the bolts were too long and must have been a retro-fit by someone and ended up taking out the top end:thumbdown:

Managed to get a couple of thick washers behind them and bingo, sealed and seems good, lovely condition and will be shortly up for sale.

I have a bad experience on a 039, the carbs do give issues as I said but the rest is fairly standard.

Good luck:thumbup:

Finally got round to this today. Had already given it a blow over with the air gun and washed the filter so started with vent tube and new fuel filter. Thought I would see if that had solved the problem and, when I started it, it idled nicely without stalling so I will leave the carb for when it plays up again. :thumbup1: