What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I have been working on a set of Echo long reach hedge trimmers. The blades had no drive and found one of the conrods was broken - unfortunately it was the more difficult to get to.

Splitting the gear assembly took all my pullers and was a damn tight fit - looked like the gear was also glued in place.

59766878b3db8_gear2.jpg.2fcdae147a6e65dade67d335ce34d5b7.jpg

gear.jpg.f17f77880462495fd1bf25ae3f14801d.jpg

Pullers.JPG.8a87e397bb2c2077bb84504507228336.JPG

I have been given a bg85 to look at for friend, he says it sounds really bad.

Anyway when I got it felt the compression with the pull cord - seemed fine.

Started it first time, but with a really metally rattling sound that sounded like a bearing had failed. so switched it off right away.

I have started stripping it down but so far the piston looks clean with no play up or down and the all seems fine with the bearings and seals, however the exhaust is full of crud - as its a sealed unit its not going to be too easy to clean, I think im going to soak it in petrol- give a few taps with an hammer and blast with airline.

Do you think that this could be causing the horrible metal knocking sound? im sure it will contribute to the irratic running- with too much back pressure.

Ill continue the strip down......

I have been given a bg85 to look at for friend, he says it sounds really bad.

Anyway when I got it felt the compression with the pull cord - seemed fine.

Started it first time, but with a really metally rattling sound that sounded like a bearing had failed. so switched it off right away.

I have started stripping it down but so far the piston looks clean with no play up or down and the all seems fine with the bearings and seals, however the exhaust is full of crud - as its a sealed unit its not going to be too easy to clean, I think im going to soak it in petrol- give a few taps with an hammer and blast with airline.

Do you think that this could be causing the horrible metal knocking sound? im sure it will contribute to the irratic running- with too much back pressure.

Ill continue the strip down......

There are bolts that hold a cast ally shroud around the flywheel, these often come loose and sound terminal! - it is the casting the recoil cover bolts to!

You need to invest in a small hydraulic press Steve.:biggrin:

Do you always polish your pullers before a photo shoot?

Hydraulic press:lol: I used to have two 60 ton American auto indexing CCD camera vision presses under my wing - fancy bits of kit, the tool sat on a pneumatic fed bolster so it floated, the printed substrate was held in position whilst the250KG tool was moved in to position using two CCD cognex cameras and bang, a perfect indexed cut and on with the next.

Also had a smalle 40 ton british made press!

I now use......a bench vice:thumbup:

Polish the pullers - Nah, just don't use them that often but is one of those tools you always look out for so the one time you use them a year, you thank the Lord for them:thumbup:

Working on the mz125 today. It's been painted and cleaned up. Engine is on and the wiring for the engine is one. Just need to finish painting the dual tank, air box, mud guards. Then it's a touch up everywhere else after having a few scratches on the frame from engine mounting.

Then it's lights and wiring.

I really hate wiring. It's just a pita. Working out from a diagram and realising that in the last various wires had been replaced with none standard colours, so having to chase wires from one thing to another.

Blew out the contact points just as I managed to get it to spark. But it will spark and stop ok. So need to order some new points.

Other than that not much today. It was a lovely sunny day and the doors where wide open.