What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Picked up a ryobi chainsaw from a regular on the way home tonight.

Not feeding oil. Havnt looked yet. Also wants it serviced.

Well enjoy that one Rich - the whole engine needs removing to get to the pump and you will probably find that the plastic gear on the pump has worn on the pinion that drives it....I am guessing it is one of those 4040s or something similar - pig of a job!:thumbdown:

Somewhere in the archives of this thread I remember along time ago. (Think it was Spud) mentioned how to nip up worn bar rails. I did do it before then with a vice, and today nipped one from 1.89 mm down to 1.64mm. The bar works fine again. But I can't remember if there was a finer art to it. Ive tried rail and burrell (he refered to it) in the search toolbar but cannot think of any other keywords.

It is an old bar now retired to the thrashing of firewood role, along with worn chains, today I butchered aload of old fencing with it. Would hate to do it with new chain and bar. Also got one of those evolution rage saws. So far very impressed. Used it to cut down a bent aluminium spirit level and steel. Some of you boys may find handy for reducing for scrap bin etc.

I'm starting to not like you anymore spud. Yes it's a 4040. :lol::lol:

Sorry bud, they are a mare, when you fit the new one, take off 1/8mm on the mating surface of the pump so the gear is pushed a litle closer to the pinion, it will make it a better fit but don't go too far:lol:

I learnt a long time ago - you will spend an hour or two on this job and the guy will expect a £20 repair - the moral of the story is stick to pro saws that have a good residual value as the owner of a £350 saw wont baulk at a £50 - £100 repair for his work saw that will earn him that in the first four hours of getting it back to work.

Similar repairs to each saw all take the same time but some just arent worth it.

Good luck!

Somewhere in the archives of this thread I remember along time ago. (Think it was Spud) mentioned how to nip up worn bar rails. I did do it before then with a vice, and today nipped one from 1.89 mm down to 1.64mm. The bar works fine again. But I can't remember if there was a finer art to it. Ive tried rail and burrell (he refered to it) in the search toolbar but cannot think of any other keywords.

It is an old bar now retired to the thrashing of firewood role, along with worn chains, today I butchered aload of old fencing with it. Would hate to do it with new chain and bar. Also got one of those evolution rage saws. So far very impressed. Used it to cut down a bent aluminium spirit level and steel. Some of you boys may find handy for reducing for scrap bin etc.

You have a good memory - you can knock the rails back together if they are splayed and also dress uneven rails back to square - just depends on your budget and skill/patience. It is very easy to get tight spots but a good finish is very doable if careful.

Sorry bud, they are a mare, when you fit the new one, take off 1/8mm on the mating surface of the pump so the gear is pushed a litle closer to the pinion, it will make it a better fit but don't go too far:lol:

I learnt a long time ago - you will spend an hour or two on this job and the guy will expect a £20 repair - the moral of the story is stick to pro saws that have a good residual value as the owner of a £350 saw wont baulk at a £50 - £100 repair for his work saw that will earn him that in the first four hours of getting it back to work.

Similar repairs to each saw all take the same time but some just arent worth it.

Good luck!

Totally agree with you Steve.

This genre of saw retails at around £150-£160, excellent value whilst they keep going.

But with kit of this value it is a risky business repairing it.

It often takes longer to work on than on good kit, as it is simply not well engineered, and the component parts are of poor quality.

With my hourly rate the repair costs can soon get close to the price of the machine and you then get unhappy customers.

Lets face it, the cheap saws are all pretty poor but many owners expect too much.

I dont sell them, so when one comes through my door I have no responsibility for it. But if I were to repair it, I then assume responsibility and the next time it breaks (and it will), the customer will have a go at me.

I just cant be bothered with this sort of hastle, so I turn them away at the door. there are easier ways to lose money.