What's on your bench today?

spudulike

A busy day.

An old Flymo two stroke to look at. Was left for years with fuel in. Cleaned and tuned.

Ms200t. Retuned.

028 chain creap. Cleaned out and all fine.

Hedgecutter sharpened .

Now the pain one. A 048av. Wasn't oiling. Removed pipe and filter. Cleaned out. Cleaned pump and all channels with it. Have a small amount of oil but not a lot. So thinking tank vent, can anyone tell where to find it??

Got a bit lost.

My 048 wasnt oiling recently and after stripping oil pump and cleaning I discovered it was a crack in the pipe whis was drawing air and letting the oil fall back into the tank. Although I see you already had the pipe out. Mine had been hardened by the exhaust and cracked where it bends to the pump.

Thanks very much for that ray.

I have one question. I've read all that can't see the oil tank vent in it anywhere. Exept in the fault finding and it says to clean it not where it is.

Ryan. Forst thing I checked when I removed it for cleaning.

Yeah I cut off that stupid plastic clip and fitted a jubilee/worm drive metal clip when I done the rebuild when I fitted a new Viton inlet manifold.Im fairly sure its not sucking any air in etc. Its got the sensible (as sensible as they can be) decomp valve not the silly one as its a 2003 saw.

Will check the throttle linkage -cheers for the heads up as didn't know about that.

It did seem to settle in the end but only done another 20mins cutting after and not had chance to use it since so have to wait and see.

Did seem very tempermental with the carb settings tho, more than 1/8 turn 1 way or the other made the difference whether it would actually cut or hardly run. The saw has had a hardish life so not sure how well the carb has held out or worn itself out tho it still had the oe piston etc and bore was fine but rings where thin.

You are better off using the Husqvarne clip - only about £3 - I have used jubillee clips and have had issues. Sometimes the rubber takes an hour or two to settle and make a full seal and generally leaks around where the original clip has been lopped off - too long and it stops the clip clamping the rubber and too short - it has the opposite effect.

Thanks very much for that ray.

I have one question. I've read all that can't see the oil tank vent in it anywhere. Exept in the fault finding and it says to clean it not where it is.

Ryan. Forst thing I checked when I removed it for cleaning.

Hi Rich, the IPL makes it look like part 1128 640 9100 and is somehow pushed in to the oil tank around the oil and fuel caps, try just under the airbox cover and if not there, around the gap between the caps and the recoil cover - guess it may be under the recoil cover but thats your area!

The part number is the standard Stihl oil tank vent.

Had one of these saws once - big heavy bugger:lol:

You are better off using the Husqvarne clip - only about £3 - I have used jubillee clips and have had issues. Sometimes the rubber takes an hour or two to settle and make a full seal and generally leaks around where the original clip has been lopped off - too long and it stops the clip clamping the rubber and too short - it has the opposite effect.

Ok thanks. I did use a thinner motorcycle clip rather than an actual jubilee clip. Maybe I should've used the old trick of spraying a bit of hairspray on It first to help sealing.

Should be able to spray around it with some wd40 or similar to check any idle difference which should work shouldn't it?

Cheers spud. I've looked everywhere I can without removing the handles and everything else.

I've checked the parts lists and diagrams I have. Looks like that number is just called a valve. It's in the area under the throttle control rod and earth short connections under the air box.

Will have a good nose.

Oh and I love the 048, for some reason its just one of those saws that I absolutly love. Don't mind the weight and reckon I could use it all day long no problems.

A heavy bugger yes, but what a beast.