What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Walked straight out the door this morning completely forgetting to take the hedge cutter with me..... Doh.

Got an ms200t coming in in the next few days. Seized piston.

Got an meeting with one of the brothers of ovendans plant machinery to look into being there contact for there small machines. Think I'm going to get busy....[/QUOTE]

good news rich well done

Just had a mountfield sp454 dropped off, brand new, was bought in B and Q January sale and assembled this morning for its first use, the owner has filled the oil halfway up the dipstick and started it. After 2 minutes she said there was white smoke everywhere so she phoned the help line and they said its your fault, nothing we can do. Anyway, ive drained the oil and re-filled it to correct level and run it for 10 mins to try and burn off all the excess oil. Still smokes so i figure the exhaust is full of oil so i fit a new exhaust and still the same. Can over filled oil cause anymore damage like blown head gasket or anything else i should be checking.

Just had a mountfield sp454 dropped off, brand new, was bought in B and Q January sale and assembled this morning for its first use, the owner has filled the oil halfway up the dipstick and started it. After 2 minutes she said there was white smoke everywhere so she phoned the help line and they said its your fault, nothing we can do. Anyway, ive drained the oil and re-filled it to correct level and run it for 10 mins to try and burn off all the excess oil. Still smokes so i figure the exhaust is full of oil so i fit a new exhaust and still the same. Can over filled oil cause anymore damage like blown head gasket or anything else i should be checking.

As Bill says, it will usualy burn off if its due to too much oil, but to be honest, if you have run it for 10 minutes and fitted another exhaust as well, then I suspect there are further issues such a broken ring.

Your best bet is to do all the tests and charge her acordingly.

Her best bet is to return to the machine to B&Q and demand a replacement having paid you for your work to date.

In fact, an even better bet for her is to get her money back and buy a decent quaility machine elsewhere.

as bill says, it will usualy burn off if its due to too much oil, but to be honest, if you have run it for 10 minutes and fitted another exhaust as well, then i suspect there are further issues such a broken ring.

Your best bet is to do all the tests and charge her acordingly.

Her best bet is to return to the machine to b&q and demand a replacement having paid you for your work to date.

In fact, an even better bet for her is to get her money back and buy a decent quaility machine elsewhere.

i have had machines take 20 mins or more to burn off the oil another way is remove the spark plug spray carb cleaner in the plug hole to brake down the oil this will normally clear it quicker

i agree with gardenkit on getting a better quality mower even the mountfields b&q sale are chinese rubbish

Got a temperamental 020t and just picked up a running (but lean seized, ally transfer) 200t.

The 200t is getting a new piston and the pot will clean up easy, im thinking of swapping some bits over from the 020 to the 200, namely the carb and im thinking about the exhaust too as its looks less restricted than the 200 any truth in this?

Will oven cleaner get the ally transfer of the pot? i think its muriatic acid i need and i think its found in most overn cleaners? anyone got a better source for acid?

Thanks

Ric