What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Oh - and the 346XP bar kept clogging up with chip and dust!

The chain can make a LOT of difference on how a saw performs. That, and the size the the bar relative to the saws engine(it's all about torque, right). I have a video somewhere of me testing some wood grinds on chains. Lemme see if I can find it...

OK, I have one up(the old account where I had several was deleted, but that's a different story...):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SASAJbPX3Q]Different chains, different saws - YouTube[/ame]

The chain on the Husqvarna's is the exact same chain, not sharpened between cuts. It is a full skip, Stihl square grind(RSLFK, if I recall)) with the gullets relieved, the rakers and cutters thinned just a tad with a bit of fluting on the cutter, and the top plate ground off at an angle on the back of the cutter with some beveling of the straps. It sounds like mroe work than it it - about an hour or so per chain with 92-93 links. The Stihl has the standard Stihl full chisel from the factory(RSK). The wood is freshly felled Pacific Northwest red alder(Alnus Rubra). The Huskys have a muffler mod, and the Stihl has the standard dual port factory muffler; none of these saws are ported.

The chain can make a LOT of difference on how a saw performs. That, and the size the the bar relative to the saws engine(it's all about torque, right). I have a video somewhere of me testing some wood grinds on chains. Lemme see if I can find it...

OK, I have one up(the old account where I had several was deleted, but that's a different story...):

The chain on the Husqvarna's is the exact same chain, not sharpened between cuts. It is a full skip, Stihl square grind(RSLFK, if I recall)) with the gullets relieved, the rakers and cutters thinned just a tad with a bit of fluting on the cutter, and the top plate ground off at an angle on the back of the cutter with some beveling of the straps. It sounds like mroe work than it it - about an hour or so per chain with 92-93 links. The Stihl has the standard Stihl full chisel from the factory(RSK). The wood is freshly felled Pacific Northwest red alder(Alnus Rubra). The Huskys have a muffler mod, and the Stihl has the standard dual port factory muffler; none of these saws are ported.

I have a narrow kerf bar and chain for the 346 that should work well but Martin wanted to try it on the Stihl RSC full chisel :001_rolleyes:

Should make it around 15% faster

my fault as aways :lol:

that 372 will fly when its run in well happy with that mate :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I might need it back to get through the crust on your cake:blushing::001_tt2:

Only joking - reckon Mk2 may be very good....what saw did you want next:lol:

On my bench.....a MS200 quelle surprise....with a dodgy kill switch, normally everyone blames the black wire but the last couple of cases have been the earth strap - easily repaired as in the pictures - resoldered and shrinkwrapped

DSCF0833.jpg.a32d4ec3012b498ba265143d65a65f1b.jpg

DSCF0832.jpg.5f504f56bca49d591600b438dddcf78b.jpg

lol it would have bin fine mate if i ent fell asleep it come out 20mins later than it should have :lol::lol:

got another in the oven now

funny i was talking to dad today as he poped over to have a look at his saw and take it

we was taliking about the 441 and 660 saying that they will be sitting under the bench now i have the 2 ported husqs as spare :lol:

and i think u no what saw is next lol

lol it would have bin fine mate if i ent fell asleep it come out 20mins later than it should have :lol::lol:

got another in the oven now

funny i was talking to dad today as he poped over to have a look at his saw and take it

we was taliking about the 441 and 660 saying that they will be sitting under the bench now i have the 2 ported husqs as spare :lol:

and i think u no what saw is next lol

Think I will call you King Alfred from now on, he burnt the cakes as well:001_rolleyes::lol:

Just eating a lump now - it has the potential of being good and reckon that 20 minutes less would do it:thumbup:

I might need it back to get through the crust on your cake:blushing::001_tt2:

Only joking - reckon Mk2 may be very good....what saw did you want next:lol:

On my bench.....a MS200 quelle surprise....with a dodgy kill switch, normally everyone blames the black wire but the last couple of cases have been the earth strap - easily repaired as in the pictures - resoldered and shrinkwrapped

that certainly would have been the problem then :thumbup1:

I have a narrow kerf bar and chain for the 346 that should work well but Martin wanted to try it on the Stihl RSC full chisel :001_rolleyes:

Should make it around 15% faster

I noticed a huge difference when I went with NK chain on my Echo CS-520.

Don't know if anyone that frequents this thread has see my thread started last Saturday to help the charity "Age UK" - http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/59198-buy-lanyard-help-age-uk.html

It is in conjunction with the husband of a lady I work with, he is "Man Knitting" these smart lanyards and selling them to assist the charity - I had hoped for a better response but guess things are tight at the moment - thanks for the few that have mailed Bill and purchased one:thumbup:

5976651538e2b_PicMonkeyCollage.jpg.1f3846506aa09c3a05a8f9506609c1fc.jpg