What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I'd have thought you could cobble one together from all the bits you have

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Maybe... I could rebuild a 036. Would require new pot and piston and a few bits that have been robbed for other saws. Might be an idea. But I know it will get robbed by its original owner :lol::lol::lol:

Will have to keep an eye out. I keep seeing repair ones on ebay but they go for stupid money that I may aswell but new......

Maybe... I could rebuild a 036. Would require new pot and piston and a few bits that have been robbed for other saws. Might be an idea. But I know it will get robbed by its original owner :lol::lol::lol:

Will have to keep an eye out. I keep seeing repair ones on ebay but they go for stupid money that I may aswell but new......

I know, saw some absolute junk making mega money, a pile of husky bits and 19 bids!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Thanks Rich, That's a bloody handy site to know, already placed an order so you should ask for commission from them.

Seems stihl superseded the p/n 3 times and then don't do it anyway.. Seems it was only the very first few had this particular seal and not used on any other saws. Turns out its the same size as the front wheel oil seal on a triumph motorcycle...

Thanks Rich, That's a bloody handy site to know, already placed an order so you should ask for commission from them.

Seems stihl superseded the p/n 3 times and then don't do it anyway.. Seems it was only the very first few had this particular seal and not used on any other saws. Turns out its the same size as the front wheel oil seal on a triumph motorcycle...

Yeah, thanks Rich, wonder where you got that one from:001_rolleyes:

Been working on an HS85 hedge trimmer, took the muffler off and found the exhaust port was about 50% clogged up with carbon. Got the piston to cover the port and carefully cut out the carbon and blew it out with an air line.

Also have a Jonsered 2171 that has had a cheap Chinese kit fitted and then seized, carb settings are fine so may be an airleak but will test later.

One thing I have never seen before is that the piston out of the Jonnie has a rough cast top - how crap is that - they are always machined down to size but this one is something else - cheap, cheap cheap rubbish!

DSCF0612.jpg.520cf11469875b73ea92db753dc96197.jpg

DSCF0605.jpg.1461f2031c839fd8b0cf99babd844d7e.jpg

DSCF0600.jpg.d757dbb28d2c93580c587fcf9bafe7c4.jpg

I had an interesting problem on saturday. I had serviced a mower with a 3.5hp Briggs Classic engine about 6 weeks ago. The owner called to say she had occasional starting trouble, so I went out to check. It would start fine for around 9 out of 10 pulls, but once in a while it would catch and pull the rope handle out of your hands with tremendous force. I have had similar cases many times, but never as severe. (It strained the ligaments in my forearm, they still hurt)

Sometimes its carbon build up on the head, so took the head off, cleaned it, no different. Any way this should have been consistant.

Sometimes the flywheel key has sheared just a little, moving the timing. Checked it, OK. (and should be consistant)

Sometimes its valve clearance, so exhaust off and checked. OK.

So... sump off and fitted new camshaft. Rebuilt and tested, now OK, Phew!!!

What was the problem??? I dont know for sure, but I think the decompressor lever was occasionaly sticking.

001.jpg.a9be41a0f6a9594a0ba97e5bd03960ad.jpg

002.jpg.205a9041ead2f2897a568a3637268e43.jpg

Yeah, thanks Rich, wonder where you got that one from:001_rolleyes:

Also have a Jonsered 2171 that has had a cheap Chinese kit fitted and then seized, carb settings are fine so may be an airleak but will test later.

One thing I have never seen before is that the piston out of the Jonnie has a rough cast top - how crap is that - they are always machined down to size but this one is something else - cheap, cheap cheap rubbish!

Possibility of an el cheap piston like that expanding with the heat and seizing?

Even the top bevelled edge looks like its been finished with a file...

Interesting it has ZV stamped/etched on it as most of the Chinese stuff put nothing more than the directional arrow.

Possibility of an el cheap piston like that expanding with the heat and seizing?

Even the top bevelled edge looks like its been finished with a file...

Interesting it has ZV stamped/etched on it as most of the Chinese stuff put nothing more than the directional arrow.

The jury is out on to why it seized, I am assuming that the owner knows about fuel mix and old fuel and will check the rest, as I always do, on rebuild. The carb settings were correct but will clean and check it out before firing up the engine after rebuild - so vac/pressure/comp check, check tank vent and tach tune and leave a tad rich to bed the new top end in.

The piston is the worst one I have seen and it looks a bit overheated - many of the cylinders aren't machined on the base and there is no way you are going to get OEM tolerences by not machining - very poor IMO.

I had an interesting problem on saturday. I had serviced a mower with a 3.5hp Briggs Classic engine about 6 weeks ago. The owner called to say she had occasional starting trouble, so I went out to check. It would start fine for around 9 out of 10 pulls, but once in a while it would catch and pull the rope handle out of your hands with tremendous force. I have had similar cases many times, but never as severe. (It strained the ligaments in my forearm, they still hurt)

Sometimes its carbon build up on the head, so took the head off, cleaned it, no different. Any way this should have been consistant.

Sometimes the flywheel key has sheared just a little, moving the timing. Checked it, OK. (and should be consistant)

Sometimes its valve clearance, so exhaust off and checked. OK.

So... sump off and fitted new camshaft. Rebuilt and tested, now OK, Phew!!!

What was the problem??? I dont know for sure, but I think the decompressor lever was occasionaly sticking.[ATTACH]122343[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]122344[/ATTACH]

Interesting - didn't realise they even had one! Presuming it's that black clip type thing? How does it work/move? Does it lift the exhaust valve?

Cheers