What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Ah, the good old days of making brake pipes. If it had not been for your post I may have never remembered that I have a Sykes Pickavant brake pipe flaring kit somewhere. It has not been opened for at least 11 years. Dont suppose I will ever use it again, wonder if there is a market for it?

You are welcome to borrow it Rich, bit far away though.

Well of your looking to sell the kit............

I've ordered the right pipes tonight. Just be a few days for delivery. Bit fun driving home with little brakes.

The amount of times I've done pipes and thought to myself that I should really just need to order the kit. Save on waiting for postage... But just never seem to do it.

One of todays jobs was an HS80 hedgetrimmer for service. Gave it new fuel lines and new carb diaphragms.

Even after doing the carb it would still not tune nicely, the L screw would not lean out and the H screw seemed ineffective.

It was achieving max revs, but was surging up and down rapidly.

This is an earlier model with a speed governor valve in the carb rather than the electronic speed governor on the later models, so it seemed like it was over governing. The governor valve consists of a little spring loaded ball onto a seat. The max engine revs cause the ball to vibrate off its seat, allowing fuel to flow straight from the metering chamber to the carb throat. This richens the air fuel ratio and drops the revs.

This one was over active, so I removed the governor and cleaned it. Put it back and it was fine. You still have to be careful tuning the H screw, as you have to do it below the point at which the governor operates.

P1010090.jpg.d446a6896ff18f9ceca8c6d505ccb071.jpg

Well. I brought a pipe flaring kit today. 20 quid from machine mart. So I done my brake lines on the disco. Got to say I enjoyed doing it. Once I got the hang of setting the pipe right in the clamp. Manual said 0.5mm sticking out. Found good results if flush for female end and 1.0mm for male end.

Don't know why I didn't buy one sooner. So much easier. So that the land rover now back on the road. Can carry on working properly now. :thumbup:

Well. I brought a pipe flaring kit today. 20 quid from machine mart. So I done my brake lines on the disco. Got to say I enjoyed doing it. Once I got the hang of setting the pipe right in the clamp. Manual said 0.5mm sticking out. Found good results if flush for female end and 1.0mm for male end.

Don't know why I didn't buy one sooner. So much easier. So that the land rover now back on the road. Can carry on working properly now. :thumbup:

Nice one Rich. I looked out my old kit yesterday, I had forgotton how heavy duty it is. Its not a Sykes as I remembered but a Ratcliffe and forms pipes from 3/16 to 1/2"

Comparable ones today are between £150 and £200.

Think I will hang on to it as when (if) I ever retire I sort of fancy doing up classic cars.

The zama and Walbro carb bits turned up today. Can't wait to use them.

On another note came one today and cold hear the sounds of a very unhealthy chainsaw trying to cut timber.

Looked out The back and two doors down was trying to cut some with his stihl ms290. Not cutting through and could see him trying to force it. So a quick shout over the fence and asked if he would like it sharpened.

So turns out he works for oven dens. (A ground works firm that do everything to do with earth moving. A big company down this way) anyway they have ventured into grounds maintance and landscaping. This saw was one of there's. so a sharp saw returned and aparantly a few more coming my way. Could be a nice little earner if I get them. :thumbup: here's to hoping.

Spied an ms240 on ebay last week from what seemed like a reputable gardenequipment retailer. Advertised as running very well and said to have been used on the day of advertising for cutting firewood. As history is unknown he stated it could do with a service. Buy it now £160 inc free p+p.

It arrived today and I assembled bar and chain, filled fuel and it started easily. Compression felt O.K., but as soon as it fired I knew it wasn't right, it sounded noisy with a distinctive knock. Not very bad but not a nice sound. It idled erratically and stopped. I didnt re start it. So off to the bench and started to pull it down. First thing I noticed was the serial number has been removed with a grinder!!! Stolen saw? Also the decal on the chainbrake with date, model etc has recently been removed. Pulled off cylinder and both it and piston are heavily scored on exhaust side. There seem to be no play in the main bearings but a tiny movement in the conrod assembly when moving piston up and down. Unsure if its big or small end as movement is so little but its enough to make a noise when moved.

Another disaster purchase from ebay. I have sent the seller an email explaining my findings. Grrr!

Edited by Ryan

Sounds like the same seller i bought a saw off once, i managed to get hold of his mobile phone number and did a google search and he advertises on all the free sites wanting garden machiney, then in his ebay listings makes out like hes owned it from new.

I received an email from him this evening and he was wasnt aware of any faults or that the numbers were missing but he did refund £50 of the purchase price. That will help a bit.

Anyone have a used OEM piston and cylinder knocking about? Will an MS 260 top end interchange?