What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Was the compression and that all good? I didn't trust my tester, hope its all good tomorrow :thumbup:

To be honest I didn't even get to plug the tester into it. The pull was really good. And because it fired up I didn't bother. But will give it a good mot tommorow.

First up today was the Huskie 40 that I was cocky about a week ago because I had fixed it where others had failed.

Pride comes before a fall. It came back:thumbdown:

It would apparently work well for 10 mins then would not keep running and was difficult to start.

I remembered when doing the carb in the first repair that I had forgotten to check the metering arm height, but decided against going in again. It seemed fine at the time and survived 5 mins in work.

WRONG, I should have gone back in. I have now and the arm was a little too high, resulting in a mix too rich when hot.

Got it right now, but thats not the point, it just not good enough.

First up today was the Huskie 40 that I was cocky about a week ago because I had fixed it where others had failed.

Pride comes before a fall. It came back:thumbdown:

It would apparently work well for 10 mins then would not keep running and was difficult to start.

I remembered when doing the carb in the first repair that I had forgotten to check the metering arm height, but decided against going in again. It seemed fine at the time and survived 5 mins in work.

WRONG, I should have gone back in. I have now and the arm was a little too high, resulting in a mix too rich when hot.

Got it right now, but thats not the point, it just not good enough.

Agree Barrie - I hate it when saws I have done fail out in the field, I aim for 100% success and take it personally if the saw plays up after fixing it!

I guess it is how you get it sorted again and the fact you ARE bothered that shows your dedication!:thumbup:

Too true spud. I felt the same way about the 200t from hell. I should have checked the rings and didn't.

It turns into a very steep learning curve and makes a better tech for it. IMO. We've all done it but only the once.

Took the 026 out today. Still havnt done many tests on it but it ran good today and as it should. There is one quirk with it. When cold if left on its side, clutch side down, it will stall out after a short while. Will fire straight back up again and once warm won't do it. So a pressure and vac test is in order just to make sure. Want do it if turned the other way up.

But it is a very good saw. Cut into a bit of thick timber later on and it cut through no problem.

Tillotson HL244A carb body. No before pictures, but note the lug on the left hand side has no tapped hole to carry the idle screw. That's because it wasn't there, having snapped off completely! (neither was the idle screw). New screw and spring ordered from Rowena at 16.50 yesterday - arrived today. Now trying to decide whether it's a 5/32" BSW or No.6x32 UNC before drilling and tapping it. Both are 32tpi so it's not disastrous if I get it wrong.

Alec

tillotson-lug.JPG.67a9df9b5b5e7550de0ea50ec5dffcc5.JPG

Sadly the more work I do the more mistakes I make. Sure, the percentage stays the same, but the number increases. Thankfully the percentage is low, but it still hurts.

Been crazy busy this year, I had my first day off in 6 weeks on Sunday. Seemed a bit weird to be home in daytime!

It does look like we have got through most of the pre-booked servicing, although there are 22 machines coming in tomorrow.

But the amount of unbooked kit coming in is increasing. There have been 15 assorted 2t machines arrive unanounced so far this week, but I am still finishing last weeks work.

Its very important when busy not to let the standards slip.

Too true spud. I felt the same way about the 200t from hell. I should have checked the rings and didn't.

It turns into a very steep learning curve and makes a better tech for it. IMO. We've all done it but only the once.

Took the 026 out today. Still havnt done many tests on it but it ran good today and as it should. There is one quirk with it. When cold if left on its side, clutch side down, it will stall out after a short while. Will fire straight back up again and once warm won't do it. So a pressure and vac test is in order just to make sure. Want do it if turned the other way up.

But it is a very good saw. Cut into a bit of thick timber later on and it cut through no problem.

I got an MS 250 with similar symptoms, if I re-fuel then leave saw on side whilst I have a coffee / cig when I pick it up again it is a pig to start, if left upright it is OK. Other 250 I have is ok no similar probs.

Right, my thinking on this.

Got to be fuel, either too little or too much. So what is different with saw on its side?

The fuel normally has to pumped into the carb by the pump diaphragm, but when on the side it can flow into the carb.

It should stop at the closed metering needle, but if that were to not seat properly it could flow past, filling the metering chamber. This could result in flooding.

It need only be a small leak, which is also present when running, but the leak is less than the consumption so no problem.

So I think I would be checking that out first.

Had a go over div-h's 026 today. Pressure test was all good and no leaks. Comp test come in at 160psi so not far out your test dave.

All working well, will run it for a few more tests again just so ensure I'm all happy with it before sending it back to you. Do you want me to order and fit the tank vent stuff?