What's on your bench today?

spudulike

oi spud im not abusing mine :sneaky2:

just love the sound it makes so it goes through the big wood to :lol::lol:

And that Rich is why we like ported saws - did you hear any bogging on cutting that size wood with a 357??? Didn't think so:thumbup:

Nice one Martin, you must be happy with it cutting wood that diameter:thumbup1:

I'm not into this porting lark, so am going to change the subject briefly.

Yesterday I posted about compression testers and the need to have an idea what to expect and use the gauge to back up diagnosis.

A similar issue recently arose using my spark tester. I suspected that a saw had a duff coil, so put my simple spark tester on, between the HT lead and earth to use as the main spark, but there was no spark at all. So I ordered a new coil.

When the coil arrived I tried to start it once again before fitting the coil and it started, but not well and soon failed, which still indicates a failing coil but does lead to slight doubt as to the correct diagnosis.

So i decided to invest in the Stihl ZAT3 tester that I have been toying with the idea of buying for several years.

This tester has an easily adjustable electrode gap so you can have a small gap of around 2mm to get a good fat spark when running as a secondary spark when earthed through a plug. or can be increased to around 6mm to prove the primary spark.

Using it to test my suspect coil proved that the coil could only generate sufficient power to jump a 3mm gap, any more than that and no spark was produced.

The result was the same, the saw still needed a coil, but I was able to give the customer a bit more info than just " yer coils f**ked*

i will still use the simple tester for initial tests as its cheap and I tend to get through 2 or 3 a year. Will keep the Stihl for special occasions!

P1000799.jpg.3cfc612df1195613e498952bea9e6216.jpg

P1000800.jpg.82b5fb85a2a02aa1dc9e0a623c84b3e5.jpg

P1000801.jpg.9e25467872a936006fd781e4f80fc2b8.jpg

I'm not into this porting lark, so am going to change the subject briefly.

Yesterday I posted about compression testers and the need to have an idea what to expect and use the gauge to back up diagnosis.

A similar issue recently arose using my spark tester. I suspected that a saw had a duff coil, so put my simple spark tester on, between the HT lead and earth to use as the main spark, but there was no spark at all. So I ordered a new coil.

When the coil arrived I tried to start it once again before fitting the coil and it started, but not well and soon failed, which still indicates a failing coil but does lead to slight doubt as to the correct diagnosis.

So i decided to invest in the Stihl ZAT3 tester that I have been toying with the idea of buying for several years.

This tester has an easily adjustable electrode gap so you can have a small gap of around 2mm to get a good fat spark when running as a secondary spark when earthed through a plug. or can be increased to around 6mm to prove the primary spark.

Using it to test my suspect coil proved that the coil could only generate sufficient power to jump a 3mm gap, any more than that and no spark was produced.

The result was the same, the saw still needed a coil, but I was able to give the customer a bit more info than just " yer coils f**ked*

i will still use the simple tester for initial tests as its cheap and I tend to get through 2 or 3 a year. Will keep the Stihl for special occasions!

[ATTACH]108024[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]108025[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]108026[/ATTACH]

Is that like my sparkplug with it's electrode bent open so the plug gap is about 4mm:lol:

Nice shiny tools Barrie - I am making a Christmas list:thumbup:

Just the same as your modified plug Steve, when used as primary spark tester, just shinier and loads more expensive:biggrin:

But it can also be used as secondary spark, so you can observe the spark intensity while running, thats quite useful.

All interesting stuff:thumbup: Guess I do most of what I do using kit I have put together myself on a shoestring, never thought I would use it as much as I have though and don't mind reinvesting cash on useful tools:thumbup: