What's on your bench today?

spudulike

This wonderful thread of Spud's has often mentioned testing kit of various sorts, which it seems, many of you have then bought and added to your tool kit.

This is very good practice, but be warned that test results can be misleading and are no substitute for a general knowledge and understanding.

I mentioned on a post a few nights ago that my compression gauge was reporting faulty results. Since then I have bought another, but it got me thinking.

My elderly Draper gauge had always given results around what I expected, but a couple of months ago I bought a new Sealey gauge to back up the Draper and to be able to double check results. Initially I found the results from both new and old gauges to be consistant within a psi or two, and made the new one my regular tester.

But in the last couple of weeks I was getting some results which just did not seem true, everything seemed too low, even when machines were running OK. So I compared the two gauges again, but which was right?

i made an adaptor so I could plug them in to my compressor, and they both recorded the same results on the gauge, but using them on the same (new) engine and the Sealey was around 30 psi low.

I traced the fault to the non return valve in the plug hole end of the hose. The old draper held its pressure in the hose and could be released by pushing the centre of the schrader valve , but the new sealey was not holding pressure in the hose.

The Sealey does not use a standard schrader valve but has a non removable, non serviceable valve which was leaking.

This effectively combined the volume of the hose with the unswept volume of the the combustion chamber, therefore lowering the compression.

The Sealey is now replaced with a Gunson Hi Tune, which appears to be identical in manufacture to the old draper one (except the clock face) and most importantly has a reliable (and replaceable) schrader valve.P1000795.jpg.8588c27d42cf4488e6809ffdeede76aa.jpg

P1000796.jpg.1f0ddd3e9dcf0081a1bc1cf95fb0b619.jpg

P1000797.jpg.fb2e60b8744eaafd2b13d09ab9baf6b4.jpg

See you got the gunson tester. Good tester that. I got one because the valve is replaceable. Also the pressure can be released still attached to the engine so quick to do another test.

Only thing I found is on a saw when holding the saw and tester while trying to pull over I have hit the release valve by accident and Wounderd why my reading was low.

See you got the gunson tester. Good tester that. I got one because the valve is replaceable. Also the pressure can be released still attached to the engine so quick to do another test.

Only thing I found is on a saw when holding the saw and tester while trying to pull over I have hit the release valve by accident and Wounderd why my reading was low.

I keep blowing the schrader valves up, they are soft opening ones, needed on this type of kit and they don't like 200+psi of the pop up piston on the 357XP - given up testing it now:001_rolleyes::lol:

Other than that, good bit of kit!

I keep blowing the schrader valves up, they are soft opening ones, needed on this type of kit and they don't like 200+psi of the pop up piston on the 357XP - given up testing it now:001_rolleyes::lol:

Other than that, good bit of kit!

That will teach you to put a pop up piston in it.

Can't figure out why you would want to test it after fitting anyway. I would be squinting ready for the tester to explode into bits.

I've only had mine up to 195psi on a saw so far. Not gone above that yet.

Eddy. I just have this image of a rough and ready arborist running around a workshop screaming like a little girl :lol:

I had an understanding with the spider, I didn't move the old flymo, and he stayed put, I forgot to mention that to my brother, who wanted the tarpaulin, and yes, I scream like a little girl with spiders, to the point I have leapt from trees and that ride on mower I posted the picture of in a thread a while back. So for tonight the 200t can stay leaking, meanwhile the back of my van looks like sheiks will be trying to buy it soon

OMG:scared1::alberteinstein:

TBH, the first one is the worst, you just need to understand how the engine works and what you need to do to get it going better. I certainly don't know it all but I know what I CAN do and also, what works!

I haven't started playing with timing wheels....yet, but do open up ports and transfers to a point the saw gets somewhat lively:thumbup:

If you do get the bug, PM me and I will give you a few tips that may save you shagging the engine and making a big mistake:blushing: That is an offer to a past customer rather than to everybody:001_rolleyes:

The new P&C on a 357XP is somewhere near £240 so would be a tad embarrasing if I had cocked up the first one:lol:

I get a good feeling about this one, the last one went to Burrell who has been abusing it ever since and has been his trusty sidekick - they are infectious - even my hedge trimmer is now ported!:lol:

That's a really great offer Spud :thumbup:

Haven't seen the saw yet and that little jonsered will fit quite nice in with my other saws so I probably won't mess with it, but you never know. If I could get my hands on another scrap 266xp to go with the one under my bench I might have a play with that.