What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Went to pressure check the 020T I have been refurbing, had a new piston fitted. Came up clean on the vac check but leaked a little under pressure - closer inspection showed the impulse line leaking on the joint with the crankcase.

I guess the attention to detail is why my services are sought after - just shows that the regeim I use to service saws pulls out the faults - also replaced the seals on an MS200T as this also was leaking under pressure.

59766226aba25_Usethisone.JPG.7cd7750deda83012775699b84d6b2607.JPG

Yeah - I use fairy piss - I leave a bottle down by the compost heap at night and the fairys fill it up. I have heard leprechaun piss is equally as good but harder to get hold of:lol:

Go study a chemistry book and the rest is down to semi fine and fine abrasive paper.:lol::thumbup:

Nah, leprechaun piss leaves iron transfer from all the Guinness! But you can use it instead of petrol with all the alcohol!

Use an alkali based cleaner, not an acid, unless you want a hole melting in the pot!

Had the usual mix of machines today. Chain brake on an MS200t, Stop wire on another 200T, plus several hedgecutter services and sharpens as well as finishing a ride-on service.

But the memorable one was a 346XPG coming back. It only went out yesterday and was running perfectly whilst here. The customer took it to site today where it started playing up and cutting out as soon as the trigger was released.

He brought it in and I sorted it there and then for him, it needed a retune but I don't understand why.

I hate this sort of thing, for a start I hate not getting things right first time, and I feel bad to have inconvenienced a customer. This customer is relatively new to me so this sort of thing is even worse. I have to say he seemed very understanding, so hopefully not too much damage done to my reputation.

I will brood on this for a while, but tomorrows another day.

Had the usual mix of machines today. Chain brake on an MS200t, Stop wire on another 200T, plus several hedgecutter services and sharpens as well as finishing a ride-on service.

But the memorable one was a 346XPG coming back. It only went out yesterday and was running perfectly whilst here. The customer took it to site today where it started playing up and cutting out as soon as the trigger was released.

He brought it in and I sorted it there and then for him, it needed a retune but I don't understand why.

I hate this sort of thing, for a start I hate not getting things right first time, and I feel bad to have inconvenienced a customer. This customer is relatively new to me so this sort of thing is even worse. I have to say he seemed very understanding, so hopefully not too much damage done to my reputation.

I will brood on this for a while, but tomorrows another day.

These things happen. I have already learnt that not matter what or how a machine is "bench tuned" it's not until its put into the working environment and used properly that it shows how well a tune goes. I've now started putting saws into some timber before giving back. Some tune perfectly on the bench and run perfectly in working but others don't.

It happens mate. I know what you mean by its annoying as we like to think that a job done on a machine is perfect and if its not we are not happy.

As you said tomorrow is another day. :thumbup1:

On another note I had a call from a regular who has a 010 av that needed some attention. he had stripped the stud out that holds the bar and chain break housing in place. Had to helicoil it for him to take the stud, then we found the saw wasn't running so spent an hour looking into all possibilities, carb came out then in then out then in. Fuel pipes got changed. Carb was cleaned and tested.

Turns out a bit of gasket was blocking the bottom of the carb not allowing pressure to build in the carb and draw fuel into it. Didn't show on a pressure test as the gasket was acting like a one way flap. Goes to show what happens when a gasket is not checked and trimmed.

Edited by Rich2484

So do I Rich, thats what makes this so frustrating:thumbdown:

Oh, then I feel your pain. Had a hedge utter come back from a new customer, had it in for starting problems but turned out to be the user rather than the machine as it started first pull for me. He called yesterday to say the choke had fallen off. Asked if I had tampered with it:confused1:

He was informed that the choke had nothing to do with anything I had done as all I had done was sharpen it, fill with fuel and fire up. I have offered to fit a new one once I have sourced the part.

Letting new customers down is annoying as they can return repeat buisiness and that's what pays the bills.

So do I Rich, thats what makes this so frustrating:thumbdown:

It happens - I go down the road and rev the knackers off them for 10-15 minutes and then give them a day and try them stone cold and even then I get the very odd one that can give issues - I now try to tweak the L screw when pretty much cold as this is usually when the saw plays up most.

Had one member call me at the weekend, said could he run a MS200T in, he arrived, found out he had just purchased the saw and got some money off as the saw wasnt idleing at all well. I didn't want yet another one kicking around so a couple of minutes lated had dialled in the L screw, brought down the idle speed, popped out the limit cap and dialled in 14krpm. All spot on:thumbup:

Then found out he had spent all his cash on saws:001_rolleyes::lol: never mind, he is a past customer and recently dropped a couple of mates saws round so I am sure he will be knocking on the door in due course! All part of the service:thumbup::thumbup: