What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Been using an MS441 today, pretty nice on a 20" full chisel.

But if the saw gets ever so slightly pinched (pretty much every cut when chog going down) the revs seem to increase when I pull the saw out on idle.

I wonder wether pulling the saw out is stretching the impulse line due to the AV flexing?

Been using an MS441 today, pretty nice on a 20" full chisel.

But if the saw gets ever so slightly pinched (pretty much every cut when chog going down) the revs seem to increase when I pull the saw out on idle.

I wonder wether pulling the saw out is stretching the impulse line due to the AV flexing?

Get it ideling on the deck, stick your foot through the rear handle and strongly, move the engine too and fro and see it the engine revs rise at all. If they do then you are possibly right.

I thought I might share this. A 4yr old Tanaka 27cc brushcutter from a local garden centre came in for what they thought was a simple recoil repair. But the engine was siezed tight. A couple of minutes the exhaust off for piston inspection, but the piston looked fine, so another 5 minutes and the pot was off (these tanakas are so easy to work on)

It appears that a needle roller from the big end bearing had come out and found its way up the transfer port. It was then picked up by the piston and pushed up to the top of the cylinder. At this point the piston wedged tight.

This is the first mechanical failure of a Tanaka engine (i.e not fuel or oil related) that I have ever seen in 25 years of selling and servicing the product.

The engine has gone away to Tanaka for warranty investigation.

[ATTACH]166028[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]166029[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]166030[/ATTACH]

Follow up.

I submitted the engine for warranty consideration and it was passed, despite being over 4 years old.

All new parts supplied FOC by Tanaka with the customer to foot the bill for labour.

Tanaka are a very good firm to deal with.

P1010468.jpg.5f65e0bddc0bc0a6286666e20f1bb3cb.jpg

Follow up.

I submitted the engine for warranty consideration and it was passed, despite being over 4 years old.

All new parts supplied FOC by Tanaka with the customer to foot the bill for labour.

Tanaka are a very good firm to deal with.

[ATTACH]168566[/ATTACH]

A good result for the customer, outstanding customer service!:thumbup:

A good result for the customer, outstanding customer service!:thumbup:

Its good to be fair with problems of this nature. All too often people try to claim that issues are warranty when its obvious to me that the fault is their own.

This one was definately a fault which had nothing to do with the operator. There was no abuse, lack of oil or stale fuel.

To be fair, it probably was not 'faulty parts or workmanship' either, but I have always found manufacturers to respond fairly, as they know I never try to 'pull fast ones' with them.

Its good to be fair with problems of this nature. All too often people try to claim that issues are warranty when its obvious to me that the fault is their own.

This one was definately a fault which had nothing to do with the operator. There was no abuse, lack of oil or stale fuel.

To be fair, it probably was not 'faulty parts or workmanship' either, but I have always found manufacturers to respond fairly, as they know I never try to 'pull fast ones' with them.

Good ethics - nice to see this in the world of A holes we live in:001_rolleyes::lol: