What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Well I split the old case today, not just the big end, the main bearings have gone due to debris, it's gouged the crankcase, and the oil (which is definitely the culprit) has solidified into a plastic type residue. So I now need a flywheel-side seal, and another piston ring (snapped one).

I'll order a seal tomorrow from my local dealer, piston rings have been ordered from dandrikop off eBay

• 2 weeks later...

A mate handed me a husky 372 the other day, he'd picked this up a couple of months ago and at the time I said I thought it had an air leak, was holding onto revs badly.

Whipped off exhaust and sure enough as I looked through the exhaust port of the Chinese cylinder there was plenty of damage to the equally Chinese piston.

Continued to strip the saw, carb boot seemed in good condition as was the impulse line.

Took off the clutch and as I removed the oil pump so the crank seal and part of the crank case came with it!!!

I think this ones a right off.

Pictures after I'd cleaned it all up a bit

1414161411273.jpg.10734db9ca1958a0fd66e9067a43dbc3.jpg

1414161465289.jpg.114e09366b4304c1127113e6ac2f4a89.jpg

1414161509409.jpg.98338bc13a49b97f5c4736e2c01ee4f8.jpg

Turned the piece of crank case over, someone had tried to stick it back together with sealant at sometime (the black stuff)

1414161637685.jpg.694f213f11d6015f20a6b92cd6b59f4f.jpg

A mate handed me a husky 372 the other day, he'd picked this up a couple of months ago and at the time I said I thought it had an air leak, was holding onto revs badly.

Whipped off exhaust and sure enough as I looked through the exhaust port of the Chinese cylinder there was plenty of damage to the equally Chinese piston.

Continued to strip the saw, carb boot seemed in good condition as was the impulse line.

Took off the clutch and as I removed the oil pump so the crank seal and part of the crank case came with it!!!

I think this ones a right off.

Pictures after I'd cleaned it all up a bit

[ATTACH]167636[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]167638[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]167642[/ATTACH]

Turned the piece of crank case over, someone had tried to stick it back together with sealant at sometime (the black stuff)

[ATTACH]167643[/ATTACH]

IMO - that is fooked:001_rolleyes::lol:

Strip it for spares:thumbup:

Stihl 036 is officially the biggest knob on the planet when it comes to blocking the piston. Using rope, unless the piston is DEFINITELY above the exhaust port thee rope will DEFINITELY shoot straight out of the port.

Using a plastic piston stop it only stops the piston about 50% of the time.

Stupid piston.

:001_rolleyes:

The mystery of the unstoppable chain was swiftly solved though; washer/spacer twixt clutch and drum on wrong way round.

:lol:

Stupid previous owner.

:001_rolleyes:

Does anyone know....

If it is possible to fit a piston and cylinder from the Stihl HS 75, 80, 85 series of hedge trimmers onto a HS 74? By possible I do mean with a little friggin.

Reason I'm asking is that I'm finding it very difficult to find replacements for this series, ideally cheap/2nd hand and I know much of the other bits are the same for that other series which seems to be much more common.

Or is it fundamentally not possible due to stoke or something like that.

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by Dan Forsh

Just done a full rebuild on my Husky 372xp from the bottom up. Used a new good aftermarket crankshaft new skf 6202 c3 bearings and Meteor cylinder and Piston Kit. I used for the first time a hyway clutch drum kit includes drum, rim and bearing but have no experience with this brand which is made in Taiwan by all accounts. Tonight was start up night, but whilst warming up the saw for taching I noticed fuel leaking from the vyton plug which covers the tank vent tube. Question is I think I'm missing the one way valve in the vent tube as I can see daylight all the way through the tube, and that's not supposed to happen :confused1:

DSC_0017.jpg.958f156c10be246c462d5bd9f291521c.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg.9784ff7cdcda2a80346c9d4dad2b5b0b.jpg

Just done a full rebuild on my Husky 372xp from the bottom up. Used a new good aftermarket crankshaft new skf 6202 c3 bearings and Meteor cylinder and Piston Kit. I used for the first time a hyway clutch drum kit includes drum, rim and bearing but have no experience with this brand which is made in Taiwan by all accounts. Tonight was start up night, but whilst warming up the saw for taching I noticed fuel leaking from the vyton plug which covers the tank vent tube. Question is I think I'm missing the one way valve in the vent tube as I can see daylight all the way through the tube, and that's not supposed to happen :confused1:

There is no valve in the tube - this is the part that stops fuel running out of the breather when the saw is on its side as the top of it will be above the fuel in the tank like a snorkel.

There are a couple of options - usually the 372 has the grey tube pushed in to the hole with the white plastic disk pushed in to the grey tube. This should seal it but the disk does let air through to let the tank breath.

Some 372XP & XTorq saws have a valve pushed in to the grey tube also and a tube coming in to the airbox to let the saw breath, from memory, I think this pushes in to a connector near where the impulse like comes through the barrier between the cylinder and carb area of the air box.

The fuel could be coming from where the fuel line pushes through in to the tank, this is common and a new piece should fix it.

If the seal on the grey pipe isn't good, clean the parts and used a glue called "Sealall", it is good at this sort of stuff:thumbup:

Pushing the fuel cap in and doing it up usually pressurises the tank for a short period and causes these issues.