What's on your bench today?

spudulike

For me its a matter of having to do it Rich. If I don't do whatever comes my way then I don't earn. It is that simple.

It's the same for me really. Just the odd day of ground work here and there. The workshop is still my main bread winner.

I guess I'm just losing interest at the minute.

That's understandable mate, but don't give up too easily.

Pah. Not going out that easily.

I miss working on the big stuff. Need to get some big machines coming in the doors. Feel like I need a few 360s in there. Or at least something to get my teeth into.

Had two 200ts in today that just needed a tune up.

Then a 170 that wasn't oiling. Then a hedge trimmer that needed a clean out on the filters. Or new ones in this case.

It started with the 170 just the thought of having to remove the handles to just pull the oiler out set me off. Stared at it for half hour before I even got the tool in my hand.

Oh well Tommorows a new day I guess. :001_smile:

Premix Ratios

Staying with relatives and the man of the house is gadget mad. If you can plug it in, he's either had it, got it or has it on order. Same goes for garden machinery with one difference, the electrics he can bring to mind everything and what to do to make it work properly. The machinery however, well he knows how to make things start and stop. But maintenance is buying the latest model, when the one he has stops working.

Removing a whole bundle of stuff, me with plenty of Aspen and him with nowt. I offered him a fill to get him going, then asked what premix ratio his saw needed. His reply, "I normally run it on 25:1 or 20:1. I can't remember, maybe it's 40:1." He then went off to fill up various cans.

When he returned, he proceeded to mix 100ml oil to 3L of fuel, then added another 200ml of fuel, (just in case it was too rich). Basically he was guessing or covering every base he could think of; over the two days, I made sure he never fuelled my saw. And we never got round to starting his, so I've no idea if it even runs. His blower works but he couldn't remember what mix was in it.

He'd not come across Aspen, so I informed him of the benefits and I think he's a convert. We just need to find out what ratios his assorted machinery really needs.

So he needs ratios for:

•McCulloch 438 saw - mainly yellow, so not the latest black model

•McCulloch Gladiator 550 hedge trimmer - also mainly yellow

•Stihl BG 85 blower

•Stihl FS 40 strimmer

•Professional MT 330 multi-tool powerhead

Edited by TGB

Premix Ratios

Staying with relatives and the man of the house is gadget mad. If you can plug it in, he's either had it, got it or has it on order. Same goes for garden machinery with one difference, the electrics he can bring to mind everything and what to do to make it work properly. The machinery however, well he knows how to make things start and stop. But maintenance is buying the latest model, when the one he has stops working.

Removing a whole bundle of stuff, me with plenty of Aspen and him with nowt. I offered him a fill to get him going, then asked what premix ratio his saw needed. His reply, "I normally run it on 25:1 or 20:1. I can't remember, maybe it's 40:1." He then went off to fill up various cans.

When he returned, he proceeded to mix 100ml oil to 3L of fuel, then added another 200ml of fuel, (just in case it was too rich). Basically he was guessing or covering every base he could think of; over the two days, I made sure he never fuelled my saw. And we never got round to starting his, so I've no idea if it even runs. His blower works but he couldn't remember what mix was in it.

He'd not come across Aspen, so I informed him of the benefits and I think he's a convert. We just need to find out what ratios his assorted machinery really needs.

So he needs ratios for:

•McCulloch 438 saw - mainly yellow, so not the latest black model

•McCulloch Gladiator 550 hedge trimmer - also mainly yellow

•Stihl BG 85 blower

•Stihl FS 40 strimmer

•Professional MT 330 multi-tool powerhead

Everything will run on Aspen 2T. Or if you mix yourself and use a good quality 2 stroke oil (Stihl HP Ultra, Husqvarna XP) the ratio is 1:50.

In general, you should use the mix ratio specified by the oil, not whatever is specified by the machine, as it is the properties of the oil that makes the difference.

But as I imagine the guy is not using all his machines on a regular basis, and couldn't be bothered to empty out stale fuel, I would highly recommend switching to Aspen!

Right just finished putting my newly acquired 020t back together amongst other shiny new bits (not motor related) I fitted a new carb kit and muffler, set the screws to factory settings but even after fiddling it will idle spot on but not pick up quickly. any ideas guys?

Right just finished putting my newly acquired 020t back together amongst other shiny new bits (not motor related) I fitted a new carb kit and muffler, set the screws to factory settings but even after fiddling it will idle spot on but not pick up quickly. any ideas guys?

The L screw needs to be turned counter clockwise, which will also reduce the idle speed which you will have to compensate by turning the LA (idle) screw clockwise.