ID mystery - Screaming Titans: The Wild Trees redwood

mdvaden

Finally got a mystery solved about a titan redwood called Screaming Titans, written about in The Wild Trees. Following finding what was supposed to be the Lost Monarch, I sort of figuratively have been scratching my head in the background, wondering why I've seen no other tree in that area wide enough to be a Screaming Titans. So turns out, that what I thought was Lost Monarch, is really the Screaming Titans. The trunk is so singular looking below, it could arguably be considered one tree with codominant stems.

The mix-up stems from this tree in other images online being labeled Del Norte Titan and Lost Monarch, and I weeded out Del Norte Titan from the equation. It's take a little while to get this figured out, since Preston stretched the truth heavily in some sections of the book, and one descriptive section is an antithesis to what we are seeing in the grove.

Anyhow, for any redwood fans, or readers of The Wild Trees, this would be Screaming Titans.

pano_monarch_600.jpg.ceee29385c3176425a5f887e4c7846e4.jpg

This next tree is also in the Grove of Titans. I have no idea which name would be assigned to it; never really tried to match it's circumference / DBH to any info I found for the grove. It is about 25' across the widest part at chest level.

In the entire grove, this one may still be my favorite one - I just like the way it looks.

Titan_800.jpg.208203519fb205385de9272e7ac26ec3.jpg

very impressive how tall are they?

Most of the top 10 largest for size coast redwoods are in the 320 foot tall range, give or take.

About 97 meters if that measurement works better for you.

An anonymous tree has been posted at a university website at about 348' tall, to be the second largest redwood by volume. I suspect it is one called "Fusion Giant".

I have an older list that is not uptodate, but it has a lot of big and tall redwoods on it, not being disclosed anymore:

Redwood Dimensions

That page does list the top 10 or so Tallest redwoods that are on the site Gymnosperm Database. In the table, the Fusion Giant is the one I noticed that apparently matches the height of the anonymous tree, with a diameter big enough to probably supply the wood volume needed to be second largests.

The researchers hardly even give out names anymore. Virtually no photos, no locations, and apparently no names.

So when I discovered this list on what seemed to be an obscure European website, I saved a copy of the measurements and converted it to HTML for a page that's like a numerical snapshot back in time.

Mightily impressive list there Mario.

Guess you got your hands full searching for those big fellas.

Happy Hunting. :001_smile:

It would make a big source of tree hunting ideas. The list was probably mostly from Atkins and Taylor who spend the most time measuring tall ones.

Stratosphere Giant is the tall one I'm likely to want photos of next, as it's access should not be too hard. But it's undisclosed as well. There is a lot of cool stuff to photograph in those wood either way.