I really gotta have a moan

TrollSpiel

Hmmmm. I'm not sure why you are having issues with them - I do find them to just have the edge on regular ripping chains.

I never file mine by hand though, always with the electric grinder instead. That way you don't have to take the chainsaw out of the mill.

I was milling 30 inch elm today with a granberg and it was great. Filed the rakers down on the scoring cutters a bit more than usual, got the log on a good slant and it blasted through.

Jonathan

Well I think it sounds like you want to have a bit of a rant and why not! Doesn't do any good to hold it in.

Firstly on the Granberg chain the scoring cutters are made from mechanically grinding down normal cutters to reduce the width.

Now sometimes this means that part of the cutter gets heated and hard.

Why not take longer to grind them? Or use a better machine that doesn't harden the tooth? - because the price would be more and then people would complain about that (granberg is the most expensive ripping chain to buy).

So these scoring cutters can be very hard on hand files. The 12volt granberg grinders will sharpen them no problem.

But if you're really adamant that it's no use send it back to me and I'll replace it with an Oregon or Stihl ripping chain equivalent.

Can't really say fairer than that!

Johnathan - but you cut about 800cube a day! you need a powered sharpener - me, I got time to dawdle along, daydreaming with my handfiles..

Rob - most gracious of you, the return offer, but I must decline! - and a man should be able to have a rant & tantrum, and it be his opinion alone - not wishing to steer others!

I was thinking maybe the steel is harder on the scorers, but logic said no, a tooth is a tooth - and then kept questioning my ability to sharpen a chain (after 25 years). And they do murder a new file after 2 strokes. But Not sure I want to go electric. Besides, Oregon chain has never been a problem - cutting metre oak all day (880/48") not even a

slightly polished tooth. 3 cuts of some hornbeam and the 36/granberg scorers were chucking out powder cos I just cant get an edge on them

I'll stick to soft old oregon & incorporate the granberg chain into a bit of furniture. :D

But if you're really adamant that it's no use send it back to me and I'll replace it with an Oregon or Stihl ripping chain equivalent.

Can't really say fairer than that!

good man Rob, i've been checking out these milling posts and my desire to buy one has been steadily growing, with an attiude like the one you've shown here i'm looking forward to purchasing one from you sooner rather than later...(just not today :001_tt2:)

If the tooth is to hard to sharpen with a hand file this indicates that once sharpened with an electric sharpener it will hold its edge much longer. I recently bought a bench mounted sharpener from lidls for £20 very impressed with results wont be hand sharpening more than 4 or 5 times before using even if it uses chains quicker, the cut was much better than I can produce by hand.

• 3 weeks later...