first saw

new_fella

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You really wat a pro saw. Your going to be using it everyday (hopefully), saving a days wages now might seem like a good idea, however when your sweating and it isn't working well then your going to realise it's false economy. If you can't afford to buy a saw now, then that's fine. Just wait til you can afford one.

:thumbup:

would any of you recommend a Husky 236 for my needs (i.e just getting into the industry, not doin a large volume of work, nor doin large trees)? Seems more reasonable value to me

Contrary to popular opinion, I would recommend a 236 for your needs in the short term.

Don't get me wrong, the 346xp or any other pro saw is well worth the extra money, IF you can justify spending £450ish on a new saw. If you're using it every day, fair enough.

However, pro saws aren't always the be all and end all, and if it's a choice between an abused secondhand pro saw or new homeowner saw with warranty, the little homeowner saw would get my vote every time. OK, it's probably not going to be as comfortable to use, or cut as quick, or last as long as a pro saw. But it will get you doing those small jobs and earning, and if it makes you money for a year it will have easily paid for itself!

When it comes to time for a better saw, you can either sell it on ebay for a reasonable amount (especially if it says Stihl on, for some reason!) or keep it as a backup, just in case.

just my opinion!

I had a husqvarna 435 for just on a year to get me started and it worked faultlesly however im in the process of doing my cs30/31 and have just upgraded to a husqvarna 353 (traded the 435 in against the 353 which made the new saw a much less painfull purchase) the rest of the guys I work with have 346xps but there realy isn't any difference when working the two together except my 353 seems to start easier. So far for what I am doing (mostly coppicing and the occasional domestic tree) I realy cant fault the 353 hope this helps

new fella, if you're gonna buy used on ebay, you should go look before you bid. i've seen two of my mates buy without viewing, both were knackered. spent more than new to get one to even work! the other worked after half a day's service...

you find your job yet? we are near braintree, we have stuff going on if you're interested.

new fella, if you're gonna buy used on ebay, you should go look before you bid. i've seen two of my mates buy without viewing, both were knackered. spent more than new to get one to even work! the other worked after half a day's service...

you find your job yet? we are near braintree, we have stuff going on if you're interested.

I second that. Went to see an 044 I'd bought on Ebay and very glad I did. It was very hard to start, idled like a tractor and had significantly less power than my 346xp (should have bags more, being 70cc instead of 50cc).

Jonathan