Chainbrake issues

Ross Smith

Ive been having major problems with my 441 chainbrake, the small plastic nipple that sits behind the main spring at the end of the handle keeps wearing quickly and causes the chainbrake to stay on permanantly and render the new chainbrake useless.

Ive replaced the handle 3x and have been having the same problem each time, ive been triple checking that im replacing the handle as the stihl parts guide manual explains to do i.e copying the pictures as they show how the chainbrake comes apart.

Now the problem has started to occur with my new 066, the saw has been used for less than 6 hours.My first thoughts with the 441 was that i was maybe wacking the chainbrake on too often when the saw was at full revs which would explain why the component is wearing and the chainbrake is shitting itself, so ive been super cautious with the new 066 and my last 441 chainbrake as to make sure the chainbrake is engaged only when the saw has completely run down, but the problem is persistent whuch is starting to piss on ones bonfire.

Im going to be sending the 066 back to Mr Jones to see what his boys can come up with.I was just wondering if anyone has come across the same problem.

Apologises for the long winded explanation but the annoying thing is the troubleshoot method should have been so simple.

Not a happy STIHL user :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I am the worlds worst for banging the brake on after releasing the throttle at full tilt. Well I feel like I am, and no problems yet with mine and I have had it since February.

You have me worried now but think I will have to calm down with it, Ross maybe your just the kind of person that would wreak a crow bar in a peat bog.

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk

[ATTACH]74911[/ATTACH]

this is the part of the chainbrake that keeps breaking.

Im not a heavy handed user of chainsaws either.

Reckon Stihl cocked up on the design as my fault was down to the strength of the brake spring putting too much force on the spring location dowel that eventually broke the casting - sounds like there is another weakness as well - not very good!

Reckon Stihl cocked up on the design as my fault was down to the strength of the brake spring putting too much force on the spring location dowel that eventually broke the casting - sounds like there is another weakness as well - not very good!

thats y i moved to te dark side :001_smile:

I can confirm that Ross is not a saw abuser. Self and alcohol, yes.

Can't help ya bro.

I had a 260 that just ate chainbrake springs with no explanation.

Could just be a pup. German (well, American) Friday afternoon special?

My 660 had chainbrake issues initially (impossible to click on with left wrist), but bedded down nicely in the end.

I can confirm that Ross is not a saw abuser. Self and alcohol, yes.

Can't help ya bro.

I had a 260 that just ate chainbrake springs with no explanation.

Could just be a pup. German (well, American) Friday afternoon special?

My 660 had chainbrake issues initially (impossible to click on with left wrist), but bedded down nicely in the end.

Had the same with my 660, and like you Mark after some use it sorted itself out also.

• 2 weeks later...