Trees/plants as sentient beings...thoughts please

sloth

Is a zombie sentient? It's braindead, but is mobile, feeds on brains, has a desire to kill. It's not aware of its actions, and is even less aware of what it actually is. It's just acting (chemically) on impulse and instinct.

No, a zombie is fictional. The rest was interesting though, thanks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but making this up doesn't make this (sound) right. Mothers and daughters having PMS at about the same time because of synchronisation of their ovulation cycles results in making us men "suffer" as little and for the shortest time (as) possibe, as women - luckely for us - don't have conscious control over it.

When Lucy walked the plains of Africa gathering food and lived in her cave with other female family members while the men were out hunting, it is hypothesized this synchronization took place, because the women thus would be pregnant and give birth at the same time, so they could share nursing (breast feeding) their babies, while some of the women still could leave the cave for a while.

Well thats me told:blushing:

Ha ha, no offence taken.

Yes I do, it's always a very formal affair. A letter of intention is forwarded to said vegetable and if no response is given within the allotted time then I eat the ignorant b@.

:lol:

No, a zombie is fictional. The rest was interesting though, thanks.

Fictional??? does that mean i wont get to run around caving skulls in with a baseball bat and chopping heads of out the side of my modified tank with an 088? man that sucketh, i was well prepared for it too:001_rolleyes:

i was too lazy to read all of the posts, but i like the idea of this thread, and wish to add my 50p's worth, There are studies, beliefs etc that tree have an ability to communicate, one thesis shows that this is enhanced by microrizzhoal ~(i cant spell it but you know what i mean) networks. The tropics are a good place to look for these kind of things, many trees flower in a sporadic fashion (i.e not the same time every year) yet it is noted that trees of the same species will flower at the same time. Yet scientists are not 100% sure how they co-ordinate these flowerings.

Also a tree is a living thing, all living things contain an energy...the 'spark of life' there is a distinct difference between a living thing and a dead thing, regardless of what it is.

Sentient means feeling of emotion, emotion could be put down as vital for survival, we fear, so we flea or fight to save our ass, we feel lust for the opposite sex to reproduce,

we feel hunger and thirst so we seek food and water, etc.

Trees do the same, but if they feel emotion the same way we do, then they aint letting on, but they do react, check out holly, and thorns, after they have been trimmed, flailed etc, they grow back twice as spiky to defend - this is caused by a chemical response, but then humans dealing with say - the nasty bloke in the pub is just a chemical response but played out on a different record.

Also - all living things like i said before are powered by energy, energy creates a magnetic field, run a current along a wire etc... Now if our thoughts result or are the result in an alteration of chemical levels, and thought ( which trigger thousands of eletricla charges and impulesses through our brains) then is it not possible that this can effect the magnetic field we produce - or the vibe, we call it 6th sense - walk in to a room know something isnt right, or feel good because every one else feels good etc, then this could in effect have an effect on things around us, though it is hard to tell, especialy seeing as only other animals can really display any immediate reactions but these could be picked up by smell or body language ( the smell of fear) pheremones released could reveal intentions, so say the thought of a violent act results in the release of chemicals in the body to prepare the person for commiting said violent act, this change in body chemistry results in hormones being released in the sweat ( to expel the excess and perhaps to notify others to be on their guard). who is to say trees cannot pick up on this - though the flip side who is to say they can.... also for those who go on about grass, grass has evolved ( or was created for those who believe in creationism) to acttualy benefit from being grazed or cut short, you aint killing it, you are simulating it being grazed.

Trees are important, always have been, always will, for those who get the pleasure ( and it realy is) to smash them down in big pieces and give a whoop whoop when doing so, we also have a duty of care to protect the trees that need protecting and do what we can to protect and preserve and make the existence of those things we use and rely on as good as possible,

all i need now is a camp fire and some rizzlas the length of a roll of andrex.....

i was too lazy to read all of the posts, but i like the idea of this thread, and wish to add my 50p's worth, There are studies, beliefs etc that tree have an ability to communicate, one thesis shows that this is enhanced by microrizzhoal ~(i cant spell it but you know what i mean) networks. The tropics are a good place to look for these kind of things, many trees flower in a sporadic fashion (i.e not the same time every year) yet it is noted that trees of the same species will flower at the same time. Yet scientists are not 100% sure how they co-ordinate these flowerings.

Also a tree is a living thing, all living things contain an energy...the 'spark of life' there is a distinct difference between a living thing and a dead thing, regardless of what it is.

Sentient means feeling of emotion, emotion could be put down as vital for survival, we fear, so we flea or fight to save our ass, we feel lust for the opposite sex to reproduce,

we feel hunger and thirst so we seek food and water, etc.

Trees do the same, but if they feel emotion the same way we do, then they aint letting on, but they do react, check out holly, and thorns, after they have been trimmed, flailed etc, they grow back twice as spiky to defend - this is caused by a chemical response, but then humans dealing with say - the nasty bloke in the pub is just a chemical response but played out on a different record.

Also - all living things like i said before are powered by energy, energy creates a magnetic field, run a current along a wire etc... Now if our thoughts result or are the result in an alteration of chemical levels, and thought ( which trigger thousands of eletricla charges and impulesses through our brains) then is it not possible that this can effect the magnetic field we produce - or the vibe, we call it 6th sense - walk in to a room know something isnt right, or feel good because every one else feels good etc, then this could in effect have an effect on things around us, though it is hard to tell, especialy seeing as only other animals can really display any immediate reactions but these could be picked up by smell or body language ( the smell of fear) pheremones released could reveal intentions, so say the thought of a violent act results in the release of chemicals in the body to prepare the person for commiting said violent act, this change in body chemistry results in hormones being released in the sweat ( to expel the excess and perhaps to notify others to be on their guard). who is to say trees cannot pick up on this - though the flip side who is to say they can.... also for those who go on about grass, grass has evolved ( or was created for those who believe in creationism) to acttualy benefit from being grazed or cut short, you aint killing it, you are simulating it being grazed.

Trees are important, always have been, always will, for those who get the pleasure ( and it realy is) to smash them down in big pieces and give a whoop whoop when doing so, we also have a duty of care to protect the trees that need protecting and do what we can to protect and preserve and make the existence of those things we use and rely on as good as possible,

all i need now is a camp fire and some rizzlas the length of a roll of andrex.....

Yup, nice....:)

What about the outdoor "sport" of angling with fishing rods and baited hooks then ?

Dutch research has shown, that a hooked fish experiences pain and extreme stress - fish have a nervous system - sometimes even leading to health problems after the fish is thrown back into the water.

To publically demonstrate the issue, a Dutchman had a stick with cord and hook, a bent nail, "baited" with a piece of sausage, dangling from his first floor window to "catch" dogs with. He was arrested, sepoenaed and sentenced to paying a fine of 100 guilders.

What about the outdoor "sport" of angling with fishing rods and baited hooks then ?

Dutch research has shown, that a hooked fish experiences pain and extreme stress - fish have a nervous system - sometimes even leading to health problems after the fish is thrown back into the water.

To publically demonstrate the issue, a Dutchman had a stick with cord and hook, a bent nail, "baited" with a piece of sausage, dangling from his first floor window to "catch" dogs with. He was arrested, sepoenaed and sentenced to paying a fine of 100 guilders.

Fish are not dogs.

Apart from dogfish, of course.

Fish are not dogs ... dogfish ...

... dogfish are not dogs, dogs are not human, humans don't experience pain and stress like dogs and fish do, etc. : so what's your point ? Fish don't experience pain and extreme stress when hooked and handheld out of the water for a while ?

I think you miss the point in the analogy the man tried to demonstrate or you are defending anglers ignoring facts for obvious reasons.

... dogfish are not dogs, dogs are not human, humans don't experience pain and stress like dogs and fish do, etc. : so what's your point ? Fish don't experience pain and extreme stress when hooked and handheld out of the water for a while ?

I think you miss the point in the analogy the man tried to demonstrate or you are defending anglers ignoring facts for obvious reasons.

I think he was just having a laugh.