Pts information

swinny

Evening all,

I've been ringing around a few companies, and one has phoned me back saying there is an induction for work on the railways with a company......

Obvioursly you will need to do the induction, this doesn't guarentee work as the company i've spoke to hasn't yet got the contract with the railway.

Then i would have to do the pts course.... (if the company got the contract)

Of which i was told it was 400.00?? and i would have to pay for it... and if the company doesn't get the contract i've got an expensive pts qual with no work for it.....

I've also heard that the pts will need renewing every 5 years is it? at an additional cost?

Is there any information anyone has about the pts? Is it worth it? Its like buying work to me if i need a ticket to do work for this company, of which they didn't mension the wages....

Pts ticket lasts for 2 years! and then would only need to sit a 1 day refresher course.

Is it Tree/Vegetation work?

Personally....I would never go back to rail work after 5+ years of doing everything from Tree work, track maintenance and engineering work, its all crap!

Split shifts, night shifts, full weekend working, working on steep bankings and cuttings, scrambling about on ballast, its got the lot.

Enjoy.:001_smile:

Pts ticket lasts for 2 years! and then would only need to sit a 1 day refresher course.

Personally....I would never go back to rail work after 5+ years of doing everything from Tree work, track maintenance and engineering work, its all crap!

Split shifts, night shifts, full weekend working, working on steep bankings and cuttings, scrambling about on ballast, its got the lot.

yeah just been looking at some website's and it says 80.00 refresher etc.....

its just the 400.00 just for the pts that gets me, i know its probabily not the best work.....

Don't really fancy it to be honest.... hmmm

yeah just been looking at some website's and it says 80.00 refresher etc.....

its just the 400.00 just for the pts that gets me, i know its probabily not the best work.....

Don't really fancy it to be honest.... hmmm

Its an experience at least!

Are you hoping to do sub-contracting work or be taken on by a company, if they get the contract?

i sub contract to a few companies, but things are a little quiet, i do get my own jobs anyway, just seem's like buying work to me, then at the drop of a hat when they don't need you away you go lol

If you have not done it before then you may as well give it a go, at least you can add it to your experience.

If you are quiet at the mo and they can guarantee you a lengthy period of work then it may work for you.

Some guys that I used to work with on railways have went back to the woods to do brashing and first thinings, cause they thought rail work was that bad!:confused1:

and a hell lot of blackthorn