Are logs a sideline or a full time business ?

Dave Martin

it would appear thers a bit of a derail going on ,back on track chaps :biggrin:wer are the mods sleeping or talking mogs :laugh1:

Maybe not a derail because its probably the people that see it as a sideline who do not answer their phone promptly and the ones that see it as a full time bonafide business that go that extra mile.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave you feel running your business your way, is going the extra mile yet you are the 1 concerned.

I don't answer my phone, my logs are certainly not a side line and I have no business concerns of my own.

Steve I dont think that I have said that I`m concerned about anything but if I am going to put my name to anything I do like to do it properly.

In response to the original thread.

Sideline or stand alone business depends on your goal.

If someone has the space to store and process wood into logs taking all the costs into consideration, including hauling wood back to the yard, then it may either contribute to the main businesses turnover/profit or turn a profit as a seperate business.

From my perspective, (and this is just my perspective), I have worked for guys who see logs as a cash earner, part of their business or a pain in the arse. I see them as a distraction from the core business of tree surgery/arboriculture.

We used to do a little landscaping and fencing. People asked us if we did it, so we did. That too was a distraction. It took my attention away from the core speciality of tree surgery. My staff didn't really like doing it either, but the excuse I used for a long while was, 'It keeps us in work'.

The reality was that I should have focussed on getting more tree work.

I keep a small amount of nice wood at the yard for my log burner and the guys take a bit for friends and family. I do about 6 loads a year for people as a thank-you for giving us leads or direct work.

All our wood arisings, between 1000-2000 tonnes per year and chip, between 1500-3000 tonnes per year, we give away or get collected from site. That may sound alot but the costs of transport, man hours, fuel, storage etc, doesn't justify my time in trying to find a market for it.

As for offering a professional service. This applies to every aspect of the business. Whether it's answering the phone, turning up on time, complaints proceedure, oh and tree work the experience of the client should be consistent.

Woolworths died as a result of poor business leadership. They lost their way through the 70's and 80's and selling off their assets was a last ditched attempt to inject cash into the business with the hope that they could trade out. It failed.

My final point, honest, is on business growth. Businesses either grow or die. If a business is to offer a consistent level of service that delivers an up to date professional service it has to grow. As a business matures it gains an increasing customer base. If they are to retain those customers by delivering the same level of service in the same timescale and for a broadly similar cost they have to employ more staff. When a business employs more staff there is a need to find more work and so the cycle continues. If this doesn't occur the business stagnates. (Sorry, I'll have to stop here. We're off to the zoo and I've run out of time. Family first.):thumbup:

My final point, honest, is on business growth. Businesses either grow or die. If a business is to offer a consistent level of service that delivers an up to date professional service it has to grow. As a business matures it gains an increasing customer base. If they are to retain those customers by delivering the same level of service in the same timescale and for a broadly similar cost they have to employ more staff. When a business employs more staff there is a need to find more work and so the cycle continues. If this doesn't occur the business stagnates. (Sorry, I'll have to stop here. We're off to the zoo and I've run out of time. Family first.):thumbup:

Thats simply not true!!

My father is a joiner and has been for most of his life, he does not employ any one, he will get in a labourer as and when he needs a hand, he has always worked this way. He does no advertising (and never has) and has never been short of work.

Some people have ambitions to build some kind of empire and grow their business to this end.

Some people are just happy to run a small steady outfit that provides them with enough income for the lifestyle they choose.

I think more Co fail when trying to grow, than fail just saying as they are.

So to suggest that not growing means failure is utter nonsense!!

well dave youve inflammed alot of interest here:001_tt2::confused1:, we do logs as a full time business our forestry feeds into the firewood and tree work is our sideline.

keep on logging dave:thumbup: - all the best joy

(ps i try and answer the phone as quick as possible or ring back asap)