wire-core flipline

browncow

I was thinking of making a wirecore flipline using 16 strand rope with the core removed and replaced with 3 or 4mm braided wire rope. Has anyone made one and have any tips?

I was mainly wondering what to do with the ends of the rope. Should I just cover the end of the wire with insulation tape and terminate the rope with a fisherman knot. If I do it this way the wire is only for stiffness and not load bearing which is ok but I am worried the wire end inside might chafe at the rope if the tape comes off. If anyone has any good ideas I would appreciate them. Even bad ideas will be considered.

hey bro-ive been thinking the same. enough wire to help with flipping but not for chainsaw resistance. Is this what we talked about before in singapore? thinking some 3mm brake cable with factory stops on the end might work. should still enable it to work with a hitch or even a cinch.

note to Al-were not all in the UK bro:) but i hear what your saying..

I was mainly wondering what to do with the ends of the rope. Should I just cover the end of the wire with insulation tape and terminate the rope with a fisherman knot. If I do it this way the wire is only for stiffness and not load bearing which is ok but I am worried the wire end inside might chafe at the rope if the tape comes off. If anyone has any good ideas I would appreciate them. Even bad ideas will be considered.

Brown there will be a definate tendancy for the outer rope sheath to slip off of the slick wire inside when under load. I would consider very hard how to bind the outer sheath to the inner wire core.

Manufactured CE'd wire core lines with an EN number should be tested to ensure this joining is strong enough. I know it may not be relevent to your country but if you want a bigger/longer product why not call the manufacturers to see if thsi is available or can be done? They may not realise its what you guys are wanting.

If you look at the Yale website you can ask Jamie their Arb specalist any questions you want and I am sure he would be pleased to try and help.

Good luck :thumbup:

Thanks guys, the reason I want to make one is not because I can't buy one, its because I can make one for $50 or so and have it customised to my length and I like pottering. I am in Australia so don't need to worry about loler/CE and what not.

Yep Drew, I am not worried about chainsaw resistance, just want something I can flip up rough bark easier.Might look into some of the plastic coated wire ropes around, or like you say bro some thin break cable type rope.

• 5 months later...