One man band's

cordwood

Mark, about 2 years ago on here I said the same thing.

Skyhuck basically bollocked me with his 'use it or lose it' attitude.

I did some physio, hit the weights, changed my climbing style, got out on the bike, and started enjoying my climbing again. I'm better and faster than I ever was.

I'm still shite, mind!

Ladders, footlocking, massage, ropewalker, vitamins, stretching, rest when you need to, use whatever helps my friend.

Noone is going to give us a big pension at 55, so it's up to us!

Your right there mate, its work for what you get or jam and water !!!!

I need to get back into the zone, gained 3 stone in 3 years, still haul my fat ass up into the green when i need to, an i can put some o these lazy yougens ta shame ha ha ha :laugh1:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, about 2 years ago on here I said the same thing.

Skyhuck basically bollocked me with his 'use it or lose it' attitude.

I did some physio, hit the weights, changed my climbing style, got out on the bike, and started enjoying my climbing again. I'm better and faster than I ever was.

I'm still shite, mind!

Ladders, footlocking, massage, ropewalker, vitamins, stretching, rest when you need to, use whatever helps my friend.

Noone is going to give us a big pension at 55, so it's up to us!

:thumbup1:

" You don't stop doing things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing things!! "

" You don't stop doing things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing things!! "

I'll second that huck my dad was awesome fit still climbing at 39 going running and had a 6 pack but he got an opportunity to take a different role and thought he best take it before he got too old to climb. Cut a long story short he's put loads of weight on and picked up loads of injuries since. I reckon as you get older with more experience you can get jobs done just as quick using your skills :)

I'll second that huck my dad was awesome fit still climbing at 39 going running and had a 6 pack but he got an opportunity to take a different role and thought he best take it before he got too old to climb. Cut a long story short he's put loads of weight on and picked up loads of injuries since. I reckon as you get older with more experience you can get jobs done just as quick using your skills :)

Basically yeah thats the story, but due to a shift in circumstances i now have to hit the tools to pay the mortgage.......I do enjoy the work though !!! allways have, allways will :thumbup:

True, but sometimes you have to stop doing somethings or you will get older quicker.:biggrin:

I do agree with Hucks post as we all know that the worst thing for an engine is to park it up, but you have to listen to your body and not ignore injuries as i learnt to my peril, i know for a fact i am no were near as fit/strong as i was even 5 year ago and it was a combination of trying to work/train through injury and making it worst. But thats just me, some people are just terminators and repair on the go. but im not one of them unfortunatly :001_smile:

47 this year, self-employed sole trader, hire in as and when for the bigger, trickier jobs, and bring in the right men with the right skills for each job. keeps the stress levels to a minimum. As many know, I knocked the fags on the head a month ago, changed my lifestyle to walking, cycling and weights to give myself a fighting chance of staying alive and keeping ahead of the young uns :thumbup:

What an interesting thread. Thinking of going into tree work on my own, hoping to start by just doing odd jobs for folk on the side. However, I am 38! Not letting that stop me though, I'm fitter than most lads in their 20s. I guess the fact that I've been sat behind a desk for 20 years, which enabled me to do sports that I like (instead of hard graft) has been beneficial in some ways, i.e. not so much wear and tear LOL.

Just got my CS30/31 and gonna do my climbing ticket next year.

I'm 43, well on the way to being a pensioner in this line of work. I work on my own, and do smaller jobs without any help. I hire in a team of lads for larger jobs from a friend that runs another local tree company. They have all the big toys, lots of young daft lads that like running up and down trees all day and are really good at their jobs. I just stand on the ground, feed the chipper, watch, and take my share at the end - much better. It means I don't have to invest in lots of expensive kit, pay wages when there's no work or worry about keeping people busy all day. Had a business partner, would never go there again.

Karlos, the wear and tear will come quickly!

I'm now 30, and run the business with my (business) partner, we get help in when needed but mainly work by ourselves. We only started the company last year but if it carries on going like it is we may look at getting an apprentice in a couple of years, then I can ease off the climbing and go back and start doing reports and surveys etc and concentrate on getting the quotes and paperwork done a bit better!