A Build Thread.

Valewoodturner

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ive got a piece of Elm that i have roughed down this afternoon, It got some imperfections but it doesnt matter cos i will make them an asset if i can.

Heres a couple of Views of what ive done so far.

Photo006.jpg

You can see here the first basic shape, Its going to be quite bulky by the looks of it.

Photo007-2.jpg

Here you can get the very first idea on how it is going to look when its polished.

Ive sussed out that a build thread wont really work cos i finish my stuff too quickly lol.

Photo012.jpg

Here i have just turned the piece and mounted it onto the chuck now, you can see were thr back plate was.

Photo016.jpg

Here it has been hollowed out and lightly sanded

Photo003-1.jpg

The finished piece.

Hopefully i will get on with the Pestle tomorrow.

I found a nice piece of Beech lying around in my shed for the Pestle, i Think it was an old Table leg or something.

Anyway i have waited for my mum to come round so i can measure it up to the size of her hand so it is comfortable for her to use and fits nice.

Here are two views of the finished Pair now i think the contrast between light and slightly darker wood is quite nice. What do you think ??

Photo010-2.jpg

Photo006-1.jpg

2 years ago i won a grant to do some training with the Association of woodturners of Great Britain but never got to do the course cos of my health problems after my marriage ended.

The powers that be now that are helping me find a new career couldnt really justify the course this time round because the chances of a full time job after the course is pretty low so i am spending the next week Training to operate a 360 Excavator instead.

Its not obviously my first choice but it will get me earning again if i pass.

Woodturning will have to be just a hobby for me but given half a chance i would turn for my living anyday.

The two years i spent not turning felt like a punnishment i wouldnt deal out to anyone.

Hi Valewoodturner, some good stuff you've been producing! I particularly like the Pestle & Mortar, the Elm is beautiful. -I made one for my GF's sister a while back, can't remember if I've posted pics before, I'll put some up if you're interested.

Yeah I bet that was tough not being able practice you're hobby -I can't imagine not being able to get on in the shed...

Cheers.

Looks excellent.:thumbup1:

Is the finish on the pestle just from sanding or have you done something else to it?

Both Mortar and Pestle were sanded down to an 800 grit paper then treated with Olive Oil ( Tesco's Own ). I have not put any solvents on them due to the fact they will be used for food preparation.

Steve