Gets my vote

Mesterh

As others have said, there's no margin for error when killing a criminal, when they're dead they're dead. Victims don't get any better from it, relatives of murdered people get no better from it and the amount of people getting wrongly convicted of serious crimes is alarmingly high.

The most important point for me is that it really is no punishment. It's the end of someone's life and although that prevents that person from committing any crimes it doesn't teach them anything. Countries that have the death penalty have no lower crime rates than those that do, it is not a preventative measure.

Locking someone up in a small cell with only basic needs met, that's punishing. That i combination with severe mental therapy to get deep into their minds to make sure they actually see what they've done wrong.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Locking someone up in a small cell with only basic needs met, that's punishing. That i combination with severe mental therapy to get deep into their minds to make sure they actually see what they've done wrong.

You think the holiday camps we have as prisons are like this? you are seriously mistaken my friend. They have 3 square meals a day, tv, play stations and all sorts of rights. I say bring on the death penalty and save the tax payer a heap of cash making their unworthy lives as pleasant as possible. Obviously it has to be done carefully and without doubt that the person is guilty as charged.

Honestly our prison system is a joke, take a look at pensioners in care homes for example, the prisoners are treated better than those poor souls.:thumbdown:

As others have said, there's no margin for error when killing a criminal, when they're dead they're dead. Victims don't get any better from it, relatives of murdered people get no better from it and the amount of people getting wrongly convicted of serious crimes is alarmingly high.

The most important point for me is that it really is no punishment. It's the end of someone's life and although that prevents that person from committing any crimes it doesn't teach them anything. Countries that have the death penalty have no lower crime rates than those that do, it is not a preventative measure.

This for me is one of the main augments for the death sentence.

You speak of "punishment" as being the main thing, for me prevention is more important.

We try to live in a civilized fashion in a civilized society, a small minority disrupt that with there behavior. These individuals need to be removed for society, killing them is the cheapest and most successful way of achieving this.

If we start down the road of punishment as the main thing (it is important, but not the primary thing IMV) we can reach a point where we are no better than them.

If some one rapped my wife, would I rape their wife to punish them?? NO!!

Would I kill them in the swiftest fashion available to me?? Yes, but not just for vengeance, but to prevent them from doing it again to someone else.

There is no excuse for killing, under ANY circumstances. What gives ANYONE that right.

I find this thread astonishing.

And ELG- you kill loads of people in your country every year, yet your crime rate is soaring.......the death penalty has no use as a deterrent.

David Goss- have you ever been to prison?

Edited by Amelanchier
language

There is no excuse for killing, under ANY circumstances. What gives ANYONE that right.

I find this thread astonishing.And ELG- you kill loads of people in your country every year, yet your crime rate is soaring.......the death penalty has f-all use as a deterrent.

Really??

So someone can conduct themselves in any way they wish and still have a right to life??

Is ALL life sacred??

Are you vegetarian??

There is no excuse for killing, under ANY circumstances. What gives ANYONE that right.I find this thread astonishing.

And ELG- you kill loads of people in your country every year, yet your crime rate is soaring.......the death penalty has f-all use as a deterrent.

It would not be ANYONE's decision, it would be society's decision.

The reason the ancient society's stoned people to death, was so everyone was involved, to on man.

tommer9, not sure where you get your stats so since I live here and try to keep track of many stats regarding crime/punishment I will consider your sources and your opinion. That being said dead men or women no longer have the ability to not harm the living, that is the key. "I am not talking about miscarriages of justice since mistakes do happen and always will" FYI we do not kill loads of people every year in our country thanks to the liberal appeal process available to the convicted members on death row. If we did kill loads of people every year it would deter people from violent crime and save society a great deal for the present and the future, IMO.

elg

An eye for an eye....How very backwards, uninspiring and unsurprising considering the current governments agenda. Medieval politics really does seem to be getting us nowhere lol

You can guarantee that death due to corporate neglect wont feature heavily in any debate or law. I also doubt any thought will be given to all the people around the world that our government murder in the name of 'security'.

The hypocrisy makes me want to vomit.

Its not "an eye for an eye".

Its about the removal of those that refuse to live in a way that allows a safe, secure and civilized society.

We allready remove the liberty, its almost as though they are kept alive to let them see what they are missing.

If they are deemed to no longer be fit to live in normal society, why keep them alive?? that to me seems barbaric.

To me these people should just be rubbed out, not out of vengeance, but just to allow every one else to live a better life and as a deterrent to others.