new saw time MS 441 MS460 or Husky 390xp

blazer

ooh goody, a chainsaw ringing up race on the cards then? i've got some elm in the yard if you fancy?:lol:

Ok is it the 'softy southerners' against the 'real men up north':sneaky2: I see to test out my new saw to see if I got it right, I will have to come up north and give your elm stack a go

I could also visit my fell running daughter in Hebden Bridge for 'a nice cup of tea pet':thumbup: Shes a member of the Todmorton fell runners - who describe themselves as a 'drinking club with a running problem':001_tt2:

Thanks for all the comments so far, a pattern is forming what to go for, my 19yr old son is doing his CS30/31 this week, so I doubt if I will get my hands on it too often once he gets a job

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tried all the 70-90cc ers on the planet over the past few years; my very first thread on here was about them.

I was buttressing in front of a harvester at the time so needed a saw in this class. The guys in the harvesters had MS460s running 18"s.

I bought a Makita DCS7901 because of a) price and b) power to weight ratio ON PAPER*. Not a bad saw; back handle was plasticky and broke twice (fixed under w) but I couldn't quite get to love it so sold it.

Then followed the Husky 390xp (me and tommer got them at the same time). Compared with the Makita it had more power (again - on paper) and was very smooth. Better saw but again I didn't feel at one with it.

The I heard the MS460 might be being replaced so thought I'd better get one of these legends before it was too late, so duly got one from Jonsie.

WHY DIDN'T I JUST GET THE MS460 IN THE FIRST PLACE !!!

So it shakes a little more than a 441, but feels more solid, less rubbery. Weighs the same for more power.

Now the 390xp has an 11.5cc advantage over the MS460 but my word you wouldn't know it on a 25" bar; the 460 has so much torque it just hauls ass through any wood. the 390xp on the other hand feels like a dead weight and the power is all top end. I literally feel knackerd and I ache after a few hours on the 390xp whereas I can go with the MS460 all day and enjoy it.

Just bought another MS460 as well; nearly went for the Husky 576xp on account of vibes and emissions but ultimate reliability mattered more to me so stuck with 460 - so glad I did. Tried the 576 - nice enough but still felt heavy over the 460.

Just shows - brochure specs, esp. re weight are wobbly at best.

Do you get my drift?!

MS460

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

you have clearly never used a 576xp or anyother new husky. 460 is a good saw but old hat, ms441 is a bag of rubbish,

Old hat wins this race I'm afraid. Human perception obviously varies but given that the 460s' power to weight ratio and especially torque to weight ration is better than the 390xp there's no way the 576 can be.

395xp isnt a 576xp i agree a 660 is better, but a 576xp blows the 460 out of the water

Oh no it doesn't. I am so confident that the MS460 is better than the 576xp in power and reliabilility terms I'd stake my life savings on it.

I don't believe this to be true.

Me neither.

Ditto that... 460 is a much better saw.

Right.

Old hat wins this race I'm afraid. Human perception obviously varies but given that the 460s' power to weight ratio and especially torque to weight ration is better than the 390xp there's no way the 576 can be.

Oh no it doesn't. I am so confident that the MS460 is better than the 576xp in power and reliabilility terms I'd stake my life savings on it.

Me neither.

Right.

i am soon to be a rich man,

He forgot to tell you his life savings amount to about a fiver cos he spent em all finding the perfect saw..... a 460!![/QUOte

the 576xp is a fantastic saw no mater what, ive gone of stihl after the 441 and the 362, and if stihl are so good y are stihl newer saws now using the air injection system famous on huskys untill there patern run out?