estate firewood book.

David oakman

Today i thought i would clean out my office and i had a good fire:001_smile:

I found the old firewood book. It started in 1968 and the cost of a load of logs was £12 and it finished in 1996 and the cost of a load was £65. I still use the same trailors and they hold two cubic meters. The estate staff used to get free firewood but no more they now have to buy it. There you go a little bit of history:001_smile:

ive got an old family book and it says my gr gr grandfather used to sell 100 logs for 10 shillings which i think is 50p and that was delivered in 1944 and now i charge £32 for 100 logs and ive still got an old sign in the yard that says £6 per 100 logs and i think that was from about 1992 now there £24 collected

This is very interesting.

Based on the cumulative (compounded) inflation since 1968 £12 then is the equivalent of £145 now.

And £65 in 1996 is now the equivalent of £85

Calculated here: Calculator - UK Inflation | How much is money really worth now compared to history

So all in all it looks like current firewood prices are historically very low and people used to pay significant money for logs.