Otters

Matthew Arnold

I saw one or two in the local river last year but only from a distance of about 60yds (from the bedroom window infact!) but have walked the river banks with my camera since but never found them.

Have you got any tips where to look and at what time of day, Matt?

I would say, find an area where the otter is regularly frequenting. You'll maybe see prints, spraint, couch or an unusually green stone amongst other normal coloured ones.

Scope out a viewing position (your bedroom window!- you wont get much better than that!). I often climb a small tree and sit in the canopy. Arrive a couple of hours before sunrise, get yourself into position and be extremely patient/quiet.

Other tips would be not to wear deodorant, and use a scarf to stop the moon reflecting off your face.

Your otter may have left the main river system in order to give birth. So with any luck, she may return with a couple of new arrivals!

Otters are known as one of the most difficult species to watch but when you get a chance it will be breathtaking. Have you thought of contacting your local wildlife groups? They might have camera traps and other toys to play with.

Also we should all upload sightings to local biodiversity recording departments and the National Biodiversity Network. That way ecologists can use accurate background info to inform surveys and management of habitats.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic