Van insurance renewal bandits

Strangely enough the cost of third party and TPF&T insurance in NZ is almost as much as fully comp hence the fact my disco, work truck, chipper, motor bike and the wife's vehicle are all fully comp, all any driver. Add to this the house contents and building insurance and we still pay around the equivalent of $170 - $180 a month for the whole lot. If we paid in lump sum it would be cheaper as we wouldn't have interest fees on the direct debit. Also, just make sure that when you try and barter for a discount you are not paying for it somewhere else. Make sure that your excess hasn't gone through the roof. What may save in the short term might cost long term if you have a claim. Not much point having cheap premiums if you have a 1500 excess or it's not full replacement value. Also, make sure you disclose EVERYTHING on the proposal form. Insurance companies will look for any way possible to get out of paying a claim so if there is something you haven't told them about on your form it might just come back and bite you in the backside.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been renewing my van insurance, i'm with swinton insurance, they never send me a quote in post just a letter saying i have to ring them. I rang up and gave me a price that was over £100 dearer than current. I said no thanks bye, the woman said hold on, came back with a buy it now at £50 dearer than current. I said no thanks bye, the woman said hold on, came back with a price £50 CHEAPER than current, i said Thankyou i'll have that. Just goes to show what they will do to keep your business.