Trip across the pond

AshevilleArborists

hello my fellow arbs. I'm an owner operator over in the States, and am making a trip to London with my family. Since my last trip over, about 7 years ago, my passion for trees and arb have grown tenfold. Sme guys on the Buzz recommended I check in over here for some advice on my trip. There are a couple of things that really interest me.

1 I was hoping to spend some money on some gear while over, and would love to put my hands on things, and try them on before buying them. Anyone know of a retail store around London where I could do this?

2 a few years ago I acquired Thomas Pakenhams Meetings with Remarkable Trees, and really want to go see some of these, or any other must see trees around London. I'll be doing some traveling out of the city with family in Tonbridge, so I will be open to places South as well. Might as well include interest in possible cool rec climbs as well. I'll be over the last week in October.

Thanks in advance!

Easiest retailer to Tunbridge would be Fr Jones and son. If you are travelling in and out of town. Close to Tonbridge would be knoll park for plenty of trees to look at and there's some beauties very near to Fr jones in Greenwich royal park, also Oxleas woods are close by.

That is not to say these are the best locations in the area just the ones I know as they are on my doorstep. Also, well worth a look would be Wakehurst place over towards gatwick airport. An aboretum ran and managed by Kew botanical gardens.

I am sure others will pipe up with more suggestions. Enjoy your trip.

Rich.

Welcome to the 'site, AshvilleArborists. And welcome - in advance - to old London town.

October isn't the best time of year to go tree hunting here as it's quite likely to be grey, cold and damp. A bit like the other 11 months of the year! LoL.

If you get the opportunity, you should really try ang get to Kew Gardens Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew - Home Page. That has the advantage that if the weather's crap, you can hide in the glass houses. Very close to Kew is Syon Park Syon Park: The London home of the Duke of Northumberland. Although quite small, the gardens are beautiful and have some large and unusual tree species.

A bit further south of Tonbridge is Bedgebury Pinetum Bedgebury National Pinetum and forest is the premier outdoor site in the Southeast of England.. The kids (if you're dragging any around with you) will love the "Go Ape" climbing there.

:thumbup:

From a non-arb lurker:

If the kids are really young then you might add Ashdown Forest to your list. Not so much for the trees but it's the genuine home of Winnie-the-Pooh and Pooh-sticks bridge is still there as well as a shop claiming to be Christopher Robin's sweetshop.

And a +1 for Kew and Syon

Leeds Castle - The Loveliest Castle in the World, Kent, England isn't far from Tonbridge as another family day out and also National Trust | Ightham Mote

Near to Tonbridge and going south to coast try, penshurst place on via enchanted forest at groombridge, pooh bridge ( already mentioned ) across ashdown forest to Sheffield park and gardens, here if you are into steam trains the bluebell railway is adjacent and on to Kingley vale, see other post on this site, near the south coast to see the most incredible old yew wood ever! All the above have their own web sites for more info,