Dual Decay

David Humphries

downgrading from the tripples, back to twin decay.

But an interesting one none the less.

Kretzschmaria duesta & what appears to be one of the Ganodermas (possibly 'applanatum', though it does have a distinct 'lucidum' look to it, especially with the stalk :confused1:)

stump is more than likely hornbeam.

IMG_1120.jpg.25eaa5eff34fe352a72ea61c440f39cc.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg.86918bdfaffc45f6563c57cf85f975e8.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg.5e822519bd1e111760afd46080848256.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg.a2fec0ed7481c881471e8a4831f60887.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg.37df12307e106feae9eda5d5826b3393.jpg

• 3 months later...

Here's an interesting combo.

Firstly because not only is Fomes fomentarius on Birch a rarity together here in the south of the Uk, but even rarer still to find it in tandem with the Birch Polypore.

Fomes = simultaneous white rot

Piptoporus = brown rot

IMG_3924.JPG.010486a1872775082a9e093454eff65c.JPG

IMG_3923.jpg.727f68de332b5e43a76906a9527863a2.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg.059d2646fff9fc51810ab752247a8bb5.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg.6436591d8bde7c5ce7b2ed49d56c95b4.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg.20ccceb4d965f9ceb6997d4bd05e2c5d.jpg

Kretzschmaria deusta & what appears to be one of the Ganodermas (possibly 'applanatum', though it does have a distinct 'lucidum' look to it, especially with the stalk :confused1:)

The stalk is formed because of the free space the "wrong" way, i.e. above the stump, directed bracket needs to release its spores, which are then by turbulence blown from underneath and further dispersed by wind.

Here's an interesting combo. Firstly because not only is Fomes fomentarius on Birch a rarity together here in the south of the Uk, but even rarer still to find it in tandem with the Birch Polypore.

David,

In The Netherlands and Germany, Fomes is quite common on birch, and because of that, this combination is more often seen, resulting in a broad black demarcation zone where the brown rot of Piptoporus "meets" the white rot of Fomes in the wood.

Edited by Fungus

Will now add Podocypha to this happy little gathering..

David,

Are you sure this is Podoscypha spp. and not Abortiporus biennis ?

I'm never 100% sure on anything now that you're in the house :001_rolleyes::biggrin:

I don't believe it to be A. biennis though.

But I know (due to local Mycologist) that our site has Podocypher & this particular rootplate has had records of it.

It fruits each year without fail.

Will get back and get a few newer shots, and be sure to post them up :thumbup1:

David,

In The Netherlands and Germany, Fomes is quite common on birch, and because of that, this combination is more often seen, resulting in a broad black demarcation zone where the brown rot of Piptoporus "meets" the white rot with selective delignification of Fomes in the wood.

Gerrit,

Fomes is pretty common on Birch in the North of England & in Scotland.

But it is (based on record) pretty rare on Birch, down here in the South of England.

We 'normally' have Fomes hosting on Oak & Beech down here.

D Lonsdale has made reference to some work that he & Swarze did back in the nineties talking about the possibility of two european forms of Fomes.

A northern & a southern form.

Do you have any knowledge/views on this?

D

D Lonsdale has made reference to some work that he & Swarze did back in the nineties talking about the possibility of two european forms of Fomes.

A northern & a southern form.

Do you have any knowledge/views on this?

David,

Knowledge no, views yes. Travelling in different European countries, I noticed Fomes to be on totally different tree species, f.i. in The Netherlands first it only was found on birches and much later on beech, sometimes on oak, poplar (along rivers) and lime and even less often on a few other tree species such as Alnus and Aesculus. In Luxemburg I found extremely big brackets of up to 80 cm in diameter on beech trunks laying on the forest floor, in Sweden it is mostly on birch and only on beech in the southern part of the country, as far as there are beeches around and in Poland you can often find Fomes on Acer standing alongside roads. The same seems to be the case with Fomitopsis pinicola, which in The Netherlands first was found on spruce and then "jumped" to beech and birch, just as I ten years earlier found it in Luxemburg on the only fallen birch (photo) in a spruce forest, which lots of spruces being attacked by it, again on Acer along roadsides in Poland and in Sweden and near the German-Czech border on Prunus.

So I would not be surprised if either or both of Fomes and Fomitopsis have different forma with highly adaptive strategies, depending on the region and the dominant tree species they fruit on.

---

Roodgerande-houtzwam-Berk.jpg.8f136417fb076c64c677b4f59005aa2c.jpg

Edited by Fungus