Dual Decay

David Humphries

The tree you speak of has been reduced due to the dryadeus n fistulina. As for the two in the background. The one with serious die back is going to be reduced to a pollard. The council tree boys are doing the work and are going to fracture prune and coronet where possible.

Would really appreciate seeing some shots if you get the opportunity Matt :thumbup1:

Hericium coralloides as a successive species on rotten wood in a wide open cavity of a beech, which was decomposed by Inonotus cuticularis, of which in the left front corner old blackened brackets still are present, but which has stopped fruiting since the mycelium of the Hericium found a foothold in the remains of the wood.

---

thats a mental note taken, and makes a LOT of sense, this is a critical piece of information especialy given the hericiums are bap species, at least Erinaceus is.

makes notifying/identifying/defining potential habitats MUCH much easier, im glad I spent 30 mins re reading the entire thread now.:thumbup1:

• 1 year later...

an oak I've been watching in passing for a number of years that has an annual fruiting of Ganoderma resinaceum at the base, which the gardeners (I presume) never fail to remove each and every year :001_rolleyes:

I note it now also has (probably for a number of years) fruiting of Laetiporus sulphureus in the canopy.

Odd that there appears to be the beginings of a woodpecker hole just below the fruiting of what what would be brown rot decay

IMG_3485.jpg.1ed74774e9c53fa02dbae686dad9020f.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg.89af9250021f1da0121e7f3e190a14e3.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg.a1c3f223afc0aa3c2ee234e646cec536.jpg

an oak I've been watching in passing for a number of years that has an annual fruiting of Ganoderma resinaceum at the base, which the gardeners (I presume) never fail to remove each and every year :001_rolleyes:.

a fruiting of G. resinaceum from a previous year on the same tree

DSC01930.jpg.18138d8e0cdd48a5f365f17b75db8fde.jpg

• 2 months later...
I don't think that's a combo I've witnessed before, but imagine its not altogether a rare occurrence.

Passing by find or a clients Paul?

A client's tree Dave. Tree officer has requested decay detection to accompany any TPO application that may arise.

The resistograph didn't reveal a great deal of decay but ideally I'd like to air spade the root collar to find out more; not sure that will happen though.

Would like to reduce and retain if possible.