Could it be the end for the processor?

mendiplogs

And that pretty much says it all:thumbup:

Yes it does. Volume for volume you will burn more softwood than hardwood per day to get the same heat output. Nothing wrong with that though because softwood is more available, cheaper per ton and can be sold to the customer cheaper. :thumbup1:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it does. Volume for volume you will burn more softwood than hardwood per day to get the same heat output. Nothing wrong with that though because softwood is more available, cheaper per ton and can be sold to the customer cheaper. :thumbup1:

With this kind of misinformation, from those within the trade and should really know better, there is little chance of the public becoming better informed and less anti soft wood :001_rolleyes:

Weight for weight hard wood and soft wood have pretty much the the same calorific value.

Soft wood is lighter (than the better hard woods), so volume for volume you will burn more. But as its generally bought in by weight and easier to process, there is scope for a decent profit if marketed well.

I do agree, but the actual difference in volume between the two if compared over the course of a day, for instance, would vary depending on species quite a bit too wouldn't it? yes, spruce burns like billyo but I've found things like Corsican and Scots to burn quite steadily. Likewise, some hardwoods burn really quite fast too.

I blame the misinformation that can be found on the internet and also those blooming firewood poems for the lack of uptake on Softwood.

I do agree, but the actual difference in volume between the two if compared over the course of a day, for instance, would vary depending on species quite a bit too wouldn't it? yes, spruce burns like billyo but I've found things like Corsican and Scots to burn quite steadily. Likewise, some hardwoods burn really quite fast too.

I blame the misinformation that can be found on the internet and also those blooming firewood poems for the lack of uptake on Softwood.

Very true, and Spruce is the most available firewood in my area. :thumbdown:

Does anyone know how would Alder (apparently a poor hardwood firewood) compare to Spruce?

:confused1: Because people have nearly always burnt h/wood in this country. Thats why you have been taught the said tar problem by stove suppliers:sneaky2:

Most stove suppliers dont know much about wood let alone waste valuable front of customer time talking about it.

The cost of having your chimney swept more often will outway the hardwood price and you shoudn't get too much of a tar build up of DRY s/wood keep the vents closed down:001_rolleyes:

Soots and tar are directly based on how hot the stove burns, the hotter the cleaner. A stove running all winter flat out on DRY (13-16%) wood be it hard or soft will yield very little soot and no tar. I have an 8kw Morso Panther in my showroom, the only form of heating, it runs from 9am till about 5pm 5 days a week and for a few hours on a sixth day. Last swept it yielded under a kilo of soot from a 10m flue burning from Sept to April.

A

I wonder if my briquettes will sell very well this year along with softwood logs and hardwood logs:thumbup:

I found brickets to be expensive when compared to logs, yes they yield more heat, very clean burning yes but customers look at teh pennies. I have sold 2 packs of 5 in a year.

A

We burnt almost exclusively Douglas fir last year in our old villager with the vents closed. The wood was bone dry and the heat output was incredible. It also lasted a good time, compatible to ash. I was mighty impressed and at the year end we just had some fine dry soot and no tar at all. The flue came up shiny with a quick sweep.

The key is the moisture of coarse. But with the vents closed, I felt a lot less heat went up the chimney.

We burnt almost exclusively Douglas fir last year in our old villager with the vents closed. The wood was bone dry and the heat output was incredible. It also lasted a good time, compatible to ash. I was mighty impressed and at the year end we just had some fine dry soot and no tar at all. The flue came up shiny with a quick sweep.

The key is the moisture of coarse. But with the vents closed, I felt a lot less heat went up the chimney.

HI stereo ash is quick burning wood mate it beech here for us thanks jon :thumbup:

We've got mainly oak, alder and ash around here Jon but I think softwood is the way foreword. It grows faster, dries faster and is ideal firewood in the right equipment. I feel we need to get away from this perception that softwood is some sort of con.

We just pulled another huge fir out of the river and I reckon it's a years worth of evening fires for next winter.

Dont know how accurate this guide is, but it does put Douglas fir above the likes of spruce..

Which Firewood Give the Most Heat Firewood Guide BTU Rating Chart

Most stove suppliers dont know much about wood let alone waste valuable front of customer time talking about it.

And you do what for a living:lol:

Soots and tar are directly based on how hot the stove burns, the hotter the cleaner. A stove running all winter flat out on DRY (13-16%) wood be it hard or soft will yield very little soot and no tar. I have an 8kw Morso Panther in my showroom, the only form of heating, it runs from 9am till about 5pm 5 days a week and for a few hours on a sixth day. Last swept it yielded under a kilo of soot from a 10m flue burning from Sept to April.

A

What happened to the oxygen thing:confused1:sooting/tarring up your chimney it's now all about heat

I found brickets to be expensive when compared to logs, yes they yield more heat, very clean burning yes but customers look at teh pennies. I have sold 2 packs of 5 in a year.

And you will be asking roughly what for a cube of hardwood logs this winter?? Will that be cheap compared to briquettes? I'm looking at supplying most local farm shops with briquettes that should keep the machine ticking over while logs will be my main source of income if I dont supply briquettes someone else will.