who owns a woodland?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone own a woodland?

how do you work it?

what did you pay for it? (if you don,t mind telling)

what do you get out of it?

what can you do with it?

do you enjoy it?

reason i ask is i would love to own one but have always wondered if it is worth it

would it be for profit from production or for re-sale or would it just be for sheer pleasure and self satifaction

own a little woodland it was 7,acres down to 5 n half now yard exspansion & needs must,you know how it is woodchip/log storage & stuff yard now a full acre !!:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:::

Woodland - amenity or commercial, large or small - turns out to have been a good investment of late. Owners wanting cheering up should take a look at the new forest market report on the UPM Tilhill site. Obviously they have an interest in talking it up, and things could go south, but still...

Toby,

What I am looking at consists of a group of people who have an interest in buying land for the enjoyment of their local community and as a sustainable site for indigenous species of flora and fauna.

e.g. Here in Tewkesbury 88 acres of amenity land has become available (for sale by a builder), so I have got a small group of people together with the aim of presenting a management plan to the Environment Agency and then, if we get their approval, to raise matched funding to buy and plant the land.

I am also part of a smilar group which has set-up a charity to do the same thing just east of Malvern, however this group are still looking for suitable land.

So if you were interested in starting a similar project in herefordshire I can provide you with a guide to the main phases and contacts but unfortunately as, at the moment, this is all done on a self funding basis, you are too far away for me to get directly involved.

However, it is very rewarding and interesting so if you are thinking of doing this I would urge you to give it a go.

I hope this helps and if you would like further information please feel free to contact me via

[email protected].

Bernard

my old man has a small copse of chestnut (7.5 acres) he's nearly 70 and battling cancer - and i will take it over when it gets too much for him

i'm off up there after lunch - to help pull a couple of heavy leaners in off the roadside.

we have about 120 chickens up there - a veggie patch, plenty of sheds.

we have water and electric - and good access

the old man is a traditionalist - so does most things in the old fashioned way - and does most things by hand

he sells logs - and makes posts, piles, split rails, etc for fencing

i make wattle hurdles - he makes gate hurdles

he also cuts shingles - and makes up small garden features - done a bit of chainsaw furniture too

it's a lovely place - and there is always plenty to do - and i can't wait to take it on full time (although i think i'll need a bit more help than the old man gets)

it's not run for profit - it's the old man's hobby

Now that's living. Hat off to you and your dad. Tell him that when he feels pissed off, cold, miserable etc there are a thousand others that would swap places with him. Good man and all the best to him (and you).

anyone own a woodland?

how do you work it?

what did you pay for it? (if you don,t mind telling)

what do you get out of it?

what can you do with it?

do you enjoy it?

reason i ask is i would love to own one but have always wondered if it is worth it

would it be for profit from production or for re-sale or would it just be for sheer pleasure and self satifaction

ME:aetsch::aetsch::001_cool::up:

• 2 weeks later...

After not finding anything local for ages, we decided to buy arable land and plant our own woodland.

It takes a long time and quite a bit of effort (we are still planting approx 300 trees a year) and six years on we are only just starting to get saplings that are of a size that you could start to call emerging woodland!

A couple of weekends ago we went to see Eoves wood (just west of Evesham) planted by the Woodland Trust in 2000.

Even after 9 years the trees still have a lot of growing to get to what you would call a wood.

But the satisfaction of seeing this all develop must be immense.

Congratulations to you.

Bernard

What I am looking at consists of a group of people who have an interest in buying land for the enjoyment of their local community and as a sustainable site for indigenous species of flora and fauna.

e.g. Here in Tewkesbury 88 acres of amenity land has become available (for sale by a builder), so I have got a small group of people together with the aim of presenting a management plan to the Environment Agency and then, if we get their approval, to raise matched funding to buy and plant the land.

I am also part of a smilar group which has set-up a charity to do the same thing just east of Malvern, however this group are still looking for suitable land.

So if you were interested in starting a similar project in herefordshire I can provide you with a guide to the main phases and contacts but unfortunately as, at the moment, this is all done on a self funding basis, you are too far away for me to get directly involved.

However, it is very rewarding and interesting so if you are thinking of doing this I would urge you to give it a go.

Sounds complicated and expensive to me

I was only asking as I've a woodland services business based in Herefordshire, working west midlands and welsh borders, if you need a hand....07811852704

good luck