Managing Trees with Decay & Dysfunction

This seems like an appropriate thread to just say well done David. Your article in the just delivered Arb Mag was great, and the photo selection was (unsurprisingly!) excellent. Nice one, a good example for tree managers everywhere :thumbup:

Ta muchly, glad you liked it Kevin :001_smile:

Haven't seen it in the flesh yet

This seems like an appropriate thread to just say well done David. Your article in the just delivered Arb Mag was great, and the photo selection was (unsurprisingly!) excellent. Nice one, a good example for tree managers everywhere :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Seconded :thumbup1:

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be terribly interest in some opinions about a copper beech I've known for a couple years.

In 2013 the tree was noted to have Meripilus. A small palm sized expression which didn't get very large, (I'm aware this isn't necessarily and indication of extent of decay). I will have to dig out the original photos. after lengthy discussion with the owner it was decided to reduce the tree. It was agreed that in the following year the owner would monitor fungal activities.

Here we are in 2014 and it's all over the place! It's a copper beech that I'd estimate to be at least 200 years old. Primarily due to the age of the property and documents that speak of the tree, (not my telepathic dendrochronology).

I am interested now given the increase in activity, future management recommendations. I'm keen to give the owner all the information he should need to make the decision that's right for both himself and the tree. Although I'm pretty sure it will all come down in the end I think I'd be happy to leave it standing for a while. It survived January and this is a fairly coastal downland locale. The xion has some bark necrosis on the side of the fungal activity and using a sounding hammer a hollow can be noted in the central stem possibly resulting from the historic branch removal / inclusion. I've intentionally not talked about targets.

Let's hear what you all have to say :-)

1409256932902.jpg.443176a17fe7965acb216c2acefee9df.jpg

1409256916300.jpg.a36c68751fe94e18bd71f2334f74ccdd.jpg

1409256897736.jpg.434eb79699fb1c03b3ff18b1ed319597.jpg

1409256866970.jpg.9ae6a88ad60c6b612f6e85e5e6fa9233.jpg

1409256840043.jpg.043e1bacc6f6e04a4d71c8e21b858ffd.jpg

1409256618032.jpg.3ead3f4e9b7ac3473c9031a1d46d857a.jpg

1409256562088.jpg.8d083dfd7f523879f67cb09fb346f359.jpg

1409256519320.jpg.4020ac51e6e98bd4ba24c1ea6e524bdd.jpg

I'd be terribly interest in some opinions about a copper beech I've known for a couple years..........

Interesting development.

The main question I'd be posing to myself with the hindsight of its history and having a feel for it's surroundings, would be whether I'd be comfortable with it surviving an unseasonal big blow with its full summer/autumnal jacket on?

How much foliar mass was removed ?

The fruit body spread out into the rhizosphere is a significant concern in terms of linear root dysfunction and subsequent decay.

How were the leaves this year?

Thanks for your replies guys. I believe I will provide the client with a quotation to remove the tree but also supply this with a brief letter detailing what we've found, what we've done so far and some management options explaining why I feel the tree could be retained and an idea of what managed decline would involve for his tree.

Sadly this is one of this scenarios where ultimately the tree can't really be allowed to complete its life cycle.