Managing Trees with Decay & Dysfunction

As with all the best reductions you can hardly tell from a distance that this one has been done. I am curious to know whether the fungal development has been faster, slower or normal after the reduction. I tend to assume that reduction can reduce the likelihood of failure but sets the tree back in energy terms, reducing the fight-back. Or is there some third possibility that the invigoration of the tree due to reduction improves fight-back?

?...........Just out of interest the reduction on the Robinia was in 2011 what the future management is another reduction on the books in the next few years? how effective is Rigidoporus ulmarius on Robinia?

No repeat reduction planned as yet.

Continue to monitor annually.

Do you mean Perenniporia rather than Rigidoporous?

If so, then I can't say I actually know as I've only noted failures associated with Perenniporia on ash and not robinia.

Post 16.........http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/fungi-pictures/6233-perenniporia-fraxinea-2.html

Nice looking work. If I knew more about tree condition, and the objective, etc., I might understand why all that green came off, losing some of the natural habit. But symmetery is a good thing, and i have no doubt it will regrow favorably. I especially like the b&a from 4 different views--top marks on the documentation! :thumbup:

I learned this from Herr Rinn, but the lesson is not yet ingrained as habit, and my work's all the poorer for that.

As it is, I rather understand the coronetted 'stubs'. A cut right back to the upright lateral would have dried the wood and sped decay in the tree structure. The extra wounding at the end of the 'stub' makes for desired habitat/part of the objective, while allowing a 'collar' to form to conserve the structure; got it!

As soon as that habitat is desired by an owner or client, I'll do it here in the US. I'm not holding my breath on that one...

This video contains content from WMG, Sony ATV Publishing and UMPG Publishing, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Sorry about that."

Stuck in the US of A, ain't got nothin to say, boy, stuck in the US of A...:thumbdown:

Had a look at this Cherry (P.kanzan) yesterday. I think this looks like the remains of Laetiporus on the stem?

Had a look through some books but thought i'd get some opinions on here too as to future prognosis. Canopy was heavily reduced about 3 years ago, tree otherwise looks to be in good health...roots are causing issues on the footway and a resident's driveway.

Weighing up different options but ultimately i'm not confident on the overall longevity of the tree with this type of fungal activity on the main stem? any thoughts??

100_2105.jpg.9e507c31b16177ec9a2b24af807e21ee.jpg